Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 6:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus
RE: Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus
(January 5, 2019 at 2:02 pm)Lek Wrote: If you rely solely on science for a determination of truth, then you have put your self in a box.

Actually quite the opposite! Here is an account Alan Alda frequently talks about himself how he was stuck in the same wrong notion of spirituality, pseudoscience, religion and other nonsense until he uncovered the whole new fulfilling world of science. It's very inspiring for those of you still fooling yourself in religious mumbo jumbo

Quote:How could I fall into this faerie world? At fourteen, I had shaken my head and adamantly refused to let the monsignor think for me. At seventeen, I had earned a perfect score on my final in logic. But now I was reading book after book on spiritualism and extrasensory perception. At one point, I could cast a horoscope using a sidereal ephemeris, which is a kind of bus schedule of the planets. I was studiously exploring what I later came to think of as highly improbable stuff, but it headed me unexpectedly toward an interest in science. I didn’t know it at the time, but I was actually working my way through the same stages of pseudoscience that humanity itself had gone through on its way to real science.
I started by exploring some of the strange things I was reading about. I hooked up an oscilloscope to a ficus plant and tried to communicate with it. In those days there were people who were sure they could talk to plants, but I never got the time of day out of mine. I tried automatic writing, where you let your hand write whatever it’s inclined to put down. Some people thought if you did this you were communicating with the spirit world. Who knows, I thought, maybe the spirits could predict the first race at Aqueduct. If they could, they were keeping it to themselves.
Finally, I read a series of books about a character called Seth who was supposed to have lived two hundred years ago and could now channel himself through the body of a woman in a trance. Seth claimed to have done a lot of studying since his death and he had opinions about pretty much everything, including science. He said all matter was composed of only three basic building blocks. “Just ask any physicist,” he said. We had a physicist living across the street and I asked him about it, but none of this sounded familiar to him. Since he worked with a particle accelerator every day, I thought he ought to know, and I had doubts about Seth’s knowledge of science. I began reading every issue of Scientific American. If any of what Seth said was true, it would show up there. I was making a naïve but honest attempt to test the reality of what was in these books. In a way, it was the same way I had tested my mother’s reality as a child. What I found was a whole new way of thinking. Here, in these pages, no one believed what anyone said unless it could be tested by others. An exciting world had opened up to me.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus - by Fake Messiah - January 5, 2019 at 11:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 11177 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6761 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1107 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 53442 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17390 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4391 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 25670 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 81074 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4831 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 8411 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape