Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son
Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son
Hi everyone,

So my sister was telling me today, her and husband were thinking about wanting to have myself as a 'God father' to their son. My sister started by saying, so was going to ask you, but I don't know how you feel on the matter. I told her the basic firebrand stuff, as an Atheist, I said all that shit is a joke. She says, while then I guess we can't have you do it. I responded it shouldn't be about religion at all, so you have a party, put some blessed water on the babe and Jesus saves. I said that's just all bullshit, it won't change anything for her son. I told her teach him, how to rely on himself and not need religion as a crutch. My sister responded, while that's the 'tradition'. She shut down about it, because as you all know, she had no answers to my facts or questions. I told, yes the tradition should be, good without faith and God. My sister, is not super religious thankfully, but just is that 'traditional have to have faith, because we all learned that way kind of thinking'. We were talking about how everyone is dealing with the Pandemic. She states 'while COVID was in the Bible , right as plague? I said no, that's all made up stories, an epic in a way. I think my sister was really hoping, I would share the same views on faith, some reinsurance.

I told her at the end of the day, this is her decision, I won't be involved in anything religion related. I said why waste your time, enjoy your time with your family, not worrying about anything religion related. My family has always known I strongly dislike all aspects related to religion or faith. They don't debt me ever anymore, as I leave them with too many questions about their faith. Also, because they don't want to think about the very hard questions, we Atheists ask them. Do you agree I handled this good, by telling her I wouldn't do it? Do you every feel, your too tough on the believers in your family? As anything with religion, I just can't stand it. Also my passion about Atheism really comes up, when my family talks about anything with religion, so it makes me not even double think, when someone asks me something like the title.
RE: Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son
Huh?

Apparently you don't know the role of Godfather....

It has nothing to do with religion.

If you are named godfather of a child - and you accept - it obligates you to the child's care should the parents die.....
@onlinebiker I wouldn't agree it's about me understanding the role, I get the role, my point is about my sister, not wanting me to do the role, unless involved in the religious side.
Traditionally, the godparent(s) witness the christening and commit to help the child learn their catechesis and help them in their spiritual formation. In modern times though, it could just mean a commitment to be the child's guardian if something happens to the parents. I'd ask your sister to clarify what she expects from you as a godparent if that's the only thing keeping you from saying yes.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
So turn her down.

If you can't respect the wishes of the parents - you probably are not suited to the role.

Sometimes in life you have to suck it up and do things you don't like.
Yeah, there is definitely a religious connotation to being a godparent. My religious family members (sort of) applied that to it. That said, I'm my nephew's godmother. It's just expected that I will care for him if his parents croak. I would have anyway.
I’m also godfather to one of my nephews. While there is a religious aspect to the relationship, it was actually more of a big brotherish situation - I got him out of a few scrapes with the law, that sort of thing. It’s a responsible role, but not a particularly onerous one.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 23, 2020 at 2:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m also godfather to one of my nephews. While there is a religious aspect to the relationship, it was actually more of a big brotherish situation - I got him out of a few scrapes with the law, that sort of thing. It’s a responsible role, but not a particularly onerous one.

Boru

I only asked my Godfather for a favor once.....

When I got out of the service - I came back to.Michigan without a drivers license.

My godfather's direct boss was Richard Austin - the Michigan Secretary of State.

I had a new driver's license (with a 7 year old picture) in the mail two days later...

Smile
(November 23, 2020 at 6:26 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(November 23, 2020 at 2:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m also godfather to one of my nephews. While there is a religious aspect to the relationship, it was actually more of a big brotherish situation - I got him out of a few scrapes with the law, that sort of thing. It’s a responsible role, but not a particularly onerous one.

Boru

I only asked my Godfather for a favor once.....

When I got out of the service - I came back to.Michigan without a drivers license.

My godfather's direct boss was Richard Austin - the Michigan Secretary of State.

I had a new driver's license (with a 7 year old picture) in the mail two days later...

Smile

Lol, one of my brothers did part of his national service in a documents shop, and one of his duties what to make up driving licenses and license renewals for soldiers on the base.

He didn’t have a driving license when he went into the army, but he had one when he got out. Wink

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
OP: Did you ever tell us what religion? If it's Heavens Gate, Druids, Wicca,...... I'd jump at the chance.

I was named GF also but as others have said it was about helping raise the kid(s) in case the parents died prior to the kids becoming adults. That didn't happen, there was no religion involved. The parents had brothers and sisters that would have taken in the kids, it was more of a feel good honor.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 16782 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1369 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  My father Lucifer 13 1824 July 9, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 8904 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face lezbehonest 48 7340 January 7, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Holy father vs. unicorns g0sU 15 3610 August 21, 2014 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Diablo
  Father Disowned Me Because I'm Still Atheist LivingNumbers6.626 160 30152 June 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  My girlfriend got discriminated by some of her family MJ the Skeptical 27 4869 June 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate Manowar 30 6229 April 20, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4081 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology