Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 10:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus
RE: Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus
(January 21, 2019 at 9:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 18, 2019 at 8:22 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: Why do you consider it very probable that Jesus and King Arthur were real? What are the most compelling pieces of evidence?

No evidence.  It simply doesn't seem unreasonable that there were historic people who were mythologized into the characters we know as 'Jesus of Nazareth' and 'Arthur of Britain'.  Both areas and eras were in a time of upheaval (religious and military, respectively).  The Hebrews in Palestine felt they were being treated badly, so it isn't terribly far-fetched that some radicalized preacher was killed by the Romans for being a troublemaker. Similarly, Britain had just suffered the Roman withdrawal and the Saxons were a fucking nightmare - it makes sense that someone or other had a few victories against them.

Boru

Bolded by me.

No evidence? Just a hunch? Right.

I certainly think it's possible that Jesus existed, but when we start saying things like "it's probably true," because "it just sort of seems to make sense," - or any other variation of that - we're getting into really murky waters. So, hey, if you're comfortable with viewing history in that way, that's up to you, but what I'm saying is, in reality, there's no good reason to think Jesus was "probably real."

At best, he might've been. Maybe. I still think the evidence that does exist is truly lackluster and doesn't do much to convince me. If anything, maybe even the "historical" writings about Jesus were just an urban legend of the Bronze Age.

All in all, I really don't care all that much. It makes no difference in my life whether or not Jesus was real and even if he was, it does nothing to prove the mythological claims found in the Bible.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus - by EgoDeath - January 21, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 11179 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6761 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1109 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 53443 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17391 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4391 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 25672 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 81075 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4831 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 8411 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape