Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 6:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fighting Depression and Suicidal Thoughts
RE: Fighting Depression and Suicidal Thoughts
I'm saddened by the number of damaged people we have here

I've struggled with depression all of my adult life. Presently have been stable for about 5 years. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that without the help I've had, I would have killed myself years ago.

What stopped me? A truck load of psychotropics, which I will probably need for the rest of my life. Plus, I saw a psychologist for several years, doing cognitive therapy, which helped deal with some of the issues behind the depression. Only found out about 5 years ago, that a major part is having Asperger's.

I realise everyone is different, the drugs used vary a lot with individuals., as do the causes of depression.

What helped, and still helps me:

The manta "THIS WILL PASS!"

Physical activity is of proven benefit to depressives, exercise releases endomorphs. I find physical exercise difficult. Instead, I just go out, sometimes just to the mall for a coffee.

Also joined a mens group, a relatively recent innovation here, aimed at men who are socially isolated. This helps a lot.

A few years ago, bought a kindle, and started reading a lot more. Reading and TV are terrific distractions if you are able to concentrate.

Also took up art. Lessons for a year. Last couple of years have done a lot of tutorials on Youtube. I just search for say 'Tutorial how to paint clouds" or just about anything you can think of, including animation and anime. The results are god enough to hang on my wall, but I rarely show others.

All this helps me. I think THE key is activity, distraction. Oh, pets are a great help, especially if you live alone. I've always had a dog.

Here we also have "Lifeline", a telephone counselling service, if you think you are in danger. WE also have an excellent organisation called "Beyond Blue". I'm sure there are similar organisations in your country.

Link to Beyond Blue. They also have an online chat service.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fighting Depression and Suicidal Thoughts - by brewer - March 11, 2019 at 2:27 pm
RE: Fighting Depression and Suicidal Thoughts - by fredd bear - March 24, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Depression MR. Macabre 666 18 1037 October 3, 2023 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Do you have sometimes thoughts of commiting crime like stealing? purplepurpose 16 1583 July 31, 2023 at 11:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  In summary, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be successful? Gentle_Idiot 72 8805 October 23, 2022 at 5:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Depression WinterHold 8 1280 March 27, 2021 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How do you deal with depression when you're out of touch with your emotions? Porcupine 25 2428 July 22, 2020 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Disability for depression? EgoDeath 19 2014 August 16, 2019 at 8:32 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  I'm still getting haunted by religious thoughts but purplepurpose 16 1421 January 12, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: onlinebiker