Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!!
RE: The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!!
(September 15, 2019 at 10:08 pm)Jehanne Wrote: who was crucified by the Roman Governor, Pontius Pilate, just as definitive.

And why would you claim that?

The thing is that the crucifixion and whole martyrdom of Jesus was created from the scriptures themselves or, should I say, the way that some Jews read them. There are many passages in the Bible that say how all these "events" occurred "according to the scriptures" (e.g. 1 Corinthians 15:3-5; Matthew 27:9-10; Mark 14:21; John 13:18, 17:12; Acts 1:16, 20, and many more). Writers of NT used these Old Testament texts to create a myth about crucifixion and Jesus.

Indeed, if you take Isaiah 53 it already had a tradition among Jews to interpret it in light of the suffering of Jewish hero-martyrs like the Maccabees. There's even a book about it by Jarvis Williams called Maccabean Martyr Traditions in Paul’s Theology of Atonement: Did Martyr Theology Shape Paul’s Conception of Jesus’s Death?

Or in later Jewish books that have dying messiah motif like Apocalypse of Zerubbabel there you have two messiahs: a Messiah ben David, and a Messiah ben Joseph. It prophesies the Son of Joseph would come first, only to be killed by an evil tyrant named "Armilus" (a Hebrew for Romulus, i.e., Rome). But all would not be lost, because the second messiah, the Son of David, would soon appear and resurrect him just before the end of the world. Sound familiar?

So it seems that early Christians combined two messiahs from a strand of earlier Jewish apocalyptic thought: martyred son of Joseph plus resurrection plus a triumphant, anointed son of David equals Jesus Christ.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! - by Fake Messiah - September 15, 2019 at 11:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 965 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 10475 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 636 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 7425 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2726 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 11016 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  My mom made me confused Der/die AtheistIn 15 2656 November 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Worst Christian Video EVER Made Foxaèr 8 1570 October 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  It Must Just Kill The Jesus Freaks. Minimalist 10 2810 March 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Way to go USA. We made the ICC hall of shame list brewer 12 3065 February 8, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Cecelia