Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mom made me confused
My mom made me confused
I was with my dad at the Catholic Church today and when we got home my mom talked to me about spiriuality. She's moderate, she doesn't believe in Hell, she's a pretty open minded person. She started the talk, because dad is kind of insistent about the catholic faith (he's not forcing me, he's just insisting). Mom said that Christianity has rules for living a ballanced life (not all rules). She told me again about that "imagining that a God exists thing", that you need to believe in something in order to succed in life, that you need rules. I as an atheist don't believe in a God, I believe in myself, I believe that there are good people, I believe in equality and many other things. Religion is not my main source of rules in life, I make myself my rules (not that my mom doesn't it too, she just relies on religion more than me), I hear different opinions and sometimes I agree with Cristianity. She also likes the rituals at the Church, but I don't. They seem so strict and outdated to me. I must bow down and show humility, this makes me feel like a servant or even a slave. I know that it's wrong to be arrogant and I know I'm not perfect, I don't need to be reminded that. she feels that going to Church makes her part of something, but I don't. I rarely talk to anybody in Church and all the people around me are closed within themselves. They might be happy, but they don't exteriorize it.
It will be so hard to explain to her that I'm atheist. It's not as hard as for atheists who have fundamentalist parents, but it will not be easy. She said that she wants me to be happy and find my own way, but at the same time she's so attached to religion.
She also said that homosexuality is wrong, though she does believe that homosexuals should have the right to live. she's against gay adoption, because a child needs a male and a female role models. Are there any studies that show this? Her opinion kind of makes me uncomfortable, since I might be bi.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: My mom made me confused
(November 19, 2017 at 7:32 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I was with my dad at the Catholic Church today and when we got home my mom talked to me about spiriuality. She's moderate, she doesn't believe in Hell, she's a pretty open minded person. She started the talk, because dad is kind of insistent about the catholic faith (he's not forcing me, he's just insisting). Mom said that Christianity has rules for living a ballanced life (not all rules). She told me again about that "imagining that a God exists thing", that you need to believe in something in order to succed in life, that you need rules. I as an atheist don't believe in a God, I believe in myself, I believe that there are good people, I believe in equality and many other things. Religion is not my main source of rules in life, I make myself my rules (not that my mom doesn't it too, she just relies on religion more than me), I hear different opinions and sometimes I agree with Cristianity. She also likes the rituals at the Church, but I don't. They seem so strict and outdated to me. I must bow down and show humility, this makes me feel like a servant or even a slave. I know that it's wrong to be arrogant and I know I'm not perfect, I don't need to be reminded that. she feels that going to Church makes her part of something, but I don't. I rarely talk to anybody in Church and all the people around me are closed within themselves. They might be happy, but they don't exteriorize it.
It will be so hard to explain to her that I'm atheist. It's not as hard as for atheists who have fundamentalist parents, but it will not be easy. She said that she wants me to be happy and find my own way, but at the same time she's so attached to religion.
She also said that homosexuality is wrong, though she does believe that homosexuals should have the right to live. she's against gay adoption, because a child needs a male and a female role models. Are there any studies that show this? Her opinion kind of makes me uncomfortable, since I might be bi.
There are not enough studies to support any conclusion TBH, but what few have been done haven't shown any greater risk to the children.  As matter of fact, lesbian parents specifically show a much, much lower risk of abusing children.  Nothing shows that male and female role models are necessary, only that good role models are.
There are so many children in need of homes, there is no reason whatsoever to keep gay parents from adopting.

There is also nothing wrong with being bisexual.  I don't know what to tell you about how your parents might feel about it, except to find people who love and accept you as you are.

Best of luck.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(November 19, 2017 at 7:53 am)Aroura Wrote:
(November 19, 2017 at 7:32 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I was with my dad at the Catholic Church today and when we got home my mom talked to me about spiriuality. She's moderate, she doesn't believe in Hell, she's a pretty open minded person. She started the talk, because dad is kind of insistent about the catholic faith (he's not forcing me, he's just insisting). Mom said that Christianity has rules for living a ballanced life (not all rules). She told me again about that "imagining that a God exists thing", that you need to believe in something in order to succed in life, that you need rules. I as an atheist don't believe in a God, I believe in myself, I believe that there are good people, I believe in equality and many other things. Religion is not my main source of rules in life, I make myself my rules (not that my mom doesn't it too, she just relies on religion more than me), I hear different opinions and sometimes I agree with Cristianity. She also likes the rituals at the Church, but I don't. They seem so strict and outdated to me. I must bow down and show humility, this makes me feel like a servant or even a slave. I know that it's wrong to be arrogant and I know I'm not perfect, I don't need to be reminded that. she feels that going to Church makes her part of something, but I don't. I rarely talk to anybody in Church and all the people around me are closed within themselves. They might be happy, but they don't exteriorize it.
There are not enough studies to support any conclusion TBH, but what few have been done haven't shown any greater risk to the children.  As matter of fact, lesbian parents specifically show a much, much lower risk of abusing children.  Nothing shows that male and female role models are necessary, only that good role models are.
There are so many children in need of homes, there is no reason whatsoever to keep gay parents from adopting.

There is also nothing wrong with being bisexual.  I don't know what to tell you about how your parents might feel about it, except to find people who love and accept you as you are.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

Charlie Chaplin
Has she ever listed these "god" rules for you?

If you can get her to give you a list I think that you'll find that most of the rules are the same as the secular rules of society. 

Except the magic rules.

But something tells me that your mom won't give a list. It's easier to believe and not think.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 19, 2017 at 8:46 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Has she ever listed these "god" rules for you?

If you can get her to give you a list I think that you'll find that most of the rules are the same as the secular rules of society. 

Except the magic rules.

But something tells me that your mom won't give a list. It's easier to believe and not think.

I didn't ask her to do a list, but when she talked to me she said that good atheists follow some rules of Christianity.

Charlie Chaplin
(November 19, 2017 at 9:20 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(November 19, 2017 at 8:46 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Has she ever listed these "god" rules for you?

Except the magic rules.

I didn't ask her to do a list, but when she talked to me she said that good atheists follow some rules of Christianity.

Then ask for the rules that "good" atheists don't follow and see what her response is. See if the rules are really from god/religion or if it is coming from her belief system.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 19, 2017 at 7:32 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: She also said that homosexuality is wrong, though she does believe that homosexuals should have the right to live. she's against gay adoption, because a child needs a male and a female role models. Are there any studies that show this? Her opinion kind of makes me uncomfortable, since I might be bi.

When I was young, my parents told me that they are humans too and can be wrong on certain instances, and also to growup means to be able to tell the difference between right and wrong for myself.

See, all humans are instinctively afraid of what they don't understand or not familiar with, and your parents are the same, They are only telling you what they are familiar with for your own good. But that doesn't make what they sat to always be correct or good for you.

As Aroura said, there are no studies to show this either way. Please never be afraid of yourself or to be yourself.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(November 19, 2017 at 11:06 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(November 19, 2017 at 9:20 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I didn't ask her to do a list, but when she talked to me she said that good atheists follow some rules of Christianity.

Then ask for the rules that "good" atheists don't follow and see what her response is. See if the rules are really from god/religion or if it is coming from her belief system.

She doesn't claim that the rules need to stem from Christianity. She thinks that Christianity is good because it has good rules (not every single rule) that apply in every context.

Charlie Chaplin
You might ask her what good are a set of rules, some of which are good some of the time. I think I'll just have to go with my own judgement in either case.
(November 19, 2017 at 1:13 pm)Whateverist Wrote: You might ask her what good are a set of rules, some of which are good some of the time.  I think I'll just have to go with my own judgement in either case.

She doesn't believe in strict rules, she thinks that you should be free to ask everything.

Charlie Chaplin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2767 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9113 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  My mom's vivid and religious dreams orthodox-man 19 1660 June 2, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3018 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Worst Christian Video EVER Made Foxaèr 8 1511 October 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  I am confused by American christians downbeatplumb 60 11904 October 1, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Way to go USA. We made the ICC hall of shame list brewer 12 3015 February 8, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  The pope made of condoms: Spooky 8 2712 September 28, 2015 at 4:20 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  This made my day - check it out. ignoramus 10 2247 September 18, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Losty
  These Crasy-Assed People Made Me Write This Song (or go bonkers) Rhondazvous 3 1364 June 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb