Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Trying close to my best to rationalize Christianity
RE: Trying close to my best to rationalize Christianity
(January 15, 2020 at 4:26 pm)sausagerock Wrote:
(January 15, 2020 at 10:40 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Soul forging isn't made reasonable or unreasonable on account of the number of gods, or the state of their character.  As suspected, you use rationalization as a stand-in for rational.  They mean very different things, and while you categorized your efforts as rationalization, and succeeded- characterizing them as rational would fail.

Yes, maybe so. Here I haven't touched arguments that would propose it as rational. Clearing this up, I won't either, just trying to explain it as a possibility that can't be ruled out completely and is worthy for brainstorming.
There's a distinctly less ridiculous subject for brainstorming described below.  

Quote:
(January 15, 2020 at 10:49 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Or, if you wanted to make christianity rational, rather than rationalize over some item of dogma....take the rational approach and leave theological interpretation behind altogether.

We were not created by any god, and there is no soul forge.  The stories represent human desires and etiological devices important to the cultures of origin.

I don't really see it as a wise move to be certain in these kind of topics and don't  recommend it.
It is interesting though that religion was necessary for us. Why not just learn as all other animals do by just believing ad learning from empirical facts? Why wasn't it like that?

You don't see it as wise to state, with certainty, that the stories in magic book represent human desires and etiological devices?  You do, however, see it as wise to pile more garbage on the heap..hilariously insisting that religion was necessary while asking why we don't learn the way that we do?

Personally, and since we're talking about things we think might be wise.....I think it would be wise to explore why you wished there was a soul forge, and why this particular fantasy appeals to you over other bits of fiction. Not with us, I don't think you'd be capable of doing anything even close to that with us, here.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trying close to my best to rationalize Christianity - by The Grand Nudger - January 15, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best books debunking Christianity KiwiNFLFan 83 15565 January 16, 2020 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7151 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How to prove Christianity is right without trying very hard Dystopia 6 3761 July 15, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 12007 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Best description of Christianity Spooky 167 23028 February 14, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Dickheads in Ohio Trying to get "Creative" Minimalist 8 1516 August 21, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8593 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18580 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  My close encounter with a Facebook xtian Cyberman 11 4748 March 8, 2013 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Mentally ill trying to be "Christians"? RichardP 5 2791 January 29, 2013 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Zone