Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do atheists hate God?: An article Dissection
RE: Why do atheists hate God?: An article Dissection
(October 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm)Rhythm Wrote: No worries bud, just offering a taste of the usual fare round these parts. The trouble with defining who or what an atheist is in one definition is that we have no holy texts from which to make these distinctions. Counterpoint that with theists, who despite having such texts still elude easy classification, not that they ever seem eager to correct their texts where their beliefs are different in even the slightest of ways. That would poison their own well.

"Without gods" seems to be the only thing that could be said of atheists at large. Those atheists, such as myself, who made no "conscious choice" to be so wouldn't really qualify as "unaffiliated".
(Except, of course, in this specific argument and as defined by you for the purposes of this argument, I get that.)

From the numerous religious texts from various religions that I have read there seems to be one underlying theme. This theme is the texts are fuzzy enough to leave plenty of room for interpretation. This room for interpretation is a functional thing for theists. It gives room to fuck people over and justify it by their interpretation of the religious text. On a kinder note it also gives room to change with the times i.e. to keep your religion relevant.

As for conscious choice it sounds like you have made a conscious choice, but I could be wrong about this. I don't know you after all. I on the other hand feel I can not illegitimately call myself an atheist because my god flag still rests on one final hill. The hill of all the supernatural experiences I have had over my lifetime. I can say that I believe that there are scientific/psychological explanations for these phenomena. in other words the phenomena have a provable cause. They just haven't been discovered yet. I have decided that its a safe assumption that someday soon my hill will erode to nothing or my flag will spontaneously combust. Until that time I have to come to terms with it. A process that will take time. I do not accept glossed over explanations. It might be safe to say that I fall in a gray area (perhaps it ought to be the what the fuck? area) between conscious choice to be a theist or a non theist. With me specifically, when it comes to supernatural phenomena, I know that I don't know what the fuck is going on. Other people who have not made any conscious choice for either theiest or nontheist don't know and/or don't care about what the fuck is going on.

I admit my word "unaffiliated" could leave too much room for interpretation. I haven't had time to come up with a proper word yet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do atheists hate God?: An article Dissection - by Ziploc Surprise - October 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1463 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3648 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 20935 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4864 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 10771 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 34388 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3681 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Propaganda Films and Hate Speech Astonished 41 14955 August 1, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A Good Article on David Fitzgerald's New Book Minimalist 1 1354 April 20, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 16268 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke