Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 7:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus
RE: The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus
(February 23, 2021 at 11:32 am)Redstar Wrote:
(February 8, 2021 at 7:13 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: It's ridiculous on several levels, but it isn't even internally coherent.

In Matthew 4:1-11, when Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days, the following occurs:  "Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me".

So, if Satan knows that Jesus is the god of the universe, he would also know that Jesus already owns "the kingdoms of the world". Jesus would obviously also know that "the kingdoms of the world" are already his. So, what exactly is the ammunition being used in the temptation?

If I walked into your house, and pointed to your tv on the wall, and said, I will give you that tv if you bow down to me, anyone in their right mind, would laugh at me, and kick me out of their house.

How could Jesus be tempted with the promise of getting the stuff he already owns? And everyone in the story already knows he owns it.

Jesus Christ is both God and man.  He has both a divine nature and a human nature.

Yes, Satan is aware of His divine nature* - hence the efforts to subjugate Him.  However, with his efforts to tempt, he is appealing to Christ's human nature because from experience he also knows human nature is fragile (i.e prone to greed, lust, anger, selfishness, deceit etc).

(*or he at least suspects this, which we can tell from what he says)

I understand what you mean about God "owning" the kingdoms of the world, however, but Jesus Christ 'the man' did not own them in any meaningful or beneficial way.  To the world, He was a carpenter's son from Nazareth, not a man of means.  Yet, these things  could have made Him rich and powerful - at least for a while.  Hence Satan's angle for tempting.

No, still bullshit.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Messages In This Thread
RE: The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus - by GUBU - February 25, 2021 at 3:28 pm
RE: The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus - by GUBU - February 25, 2021 at 5:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 968 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 10580 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 639 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 7498 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  angel story video form Drich 107 11112 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9645 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  No more “lead us not into temptation” Fake Messiah 22 2607 June 15, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6680 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Leaving christianity, a bit of my story Lucifer 87 9080 July 16, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 38668 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason