Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving christianity, a bit of my story
Leaving christianity, a bit of my story
I have left christianity 3 years ago. Losing my faith was not a choice, it was a long process that I tried to resist, because I was scared of hell and social exclusion, but still rationality won and the result was that my faith was completely gone. Even after that it took me a lot of time to really leave the religion. I first told my friends, one by one, then my family, and finally I told the rest of the world. I was terrified of the consequences, but I had to, because I want to live authentically.

Christians don't understand how hard it is. They mock people who doubt, saying they are weak, even more so when they leave. They gossip about them, they try to convince them with their sermons, but don't actually empathize and listen. I am talking about the majority here. There are, of course, exceptions, and these are the christians that have remained my friends. These are the people who like you for who you are, not for what you believe. I do the same for them, even though I think their beliefs are silly I don't mock them, I even show interest in their church activities, even though I don't like the topic (it's painful to think about it), because I know it is important for them.

When I left christianity, I expected to enter this big "secular world", which should mean a lot of freedom, rationality, humanism and so forth. Well, I was wrong. I discovered that people have a tendency to develop irrational ideas and behaviors, which could develop to become new religions. People create their own prisons, their own cults. I don't say this to be cynical, I have seen a lot of good as well, but I became a bit more realistic in my expectations of people. I see that it's not a normal thing to be rational and free, you have to work hard for this and keep challenging ideas, including your own, which is not always easy, but the rewards are great. Religion really limited in what I could be, it held me down, but now that I am free and able to think and act sensibly I have the opportunity to build an awesome, exciting and meaningful life with everything I could dream of.

I just wanted to share this. Curious to know what you think of it. I will answer any serious questions you may have.
RE: Leaving christianity, a bit of my story
Welcome! And good on you for leaving religion behind Big Grin Enjoy your stay, hope you like it here.
Most xtians suck.  You're well rid of them.
Religion is hated because it go as far as tries to kill people mentally."You are servant. You must strive to love people around you(its painful). Pleasure is a sin. If you sin God will have to torture you because he loves you. Sacrifice your life for the common good or be prepaired to suffer".

If you try to kill people mentally in order to make them more loving - justified(in believers minds).

I have met few monks and their close students who truly believed that they must only strive towards serving God by preaching, working and forgeting about almost all pleasures.

Its the most badass lifestyle I have heard about, because its a voluntary mini hell. And thats why such lifestyle can be only respected in my opinion. But I still often regret for believing in such mindfuck.
Good stuff Lucifer...

There are also many people who are not religious but are superstitious and believe in woo anyway.
Usually, the critical thinkers are the one's who caution for evidence before acting.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Thanks for sharing your story Smile

Well done for continuing to seek the truth. It's very sad that you would treated less well by some of your "friends". It shows the divisive effect religion can have.

You're right, people can easily be irrational in all kinds of ways. Religion is just one of them. It's something everyone has to keep working at, if they care about it in the first place.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 9, 2016 at 3:16 pm)Lucifer Wrote: I have left christianity 3 years ago. Losing my faith was not a choice, it was a long process that I tried to resist, because I was scared of hell and social exclusion, but still rationality won and the result was that my faith was completely gone. Even after that it took me a lot of time to really leave the religion. I first told my friends, one by one, then my family, and finally I told the rest of the world. I was terrified of the consequences, but I had to, because I want to live authentically.

Christians don't understand how hard it is. They mock people who doubt, saying they are weak, even more so when they leave. They gossip about them, they try to convince them with their sermons, but don't actually empathize and listen. I am talking about the majority here. There are, of course, exceptions, and these are the christians that have remained my friends. These are the people who like you for who you are, not for what you believe. I do the same for them, even though I think their beliefs are silly I don't mock them, I even show interest in their church activities, even though I don't like the topic (it's painful to think about it), because I know it is important for them.

When I left christianity, I expected to enter this big "secular world", which should mean a lot of freedom, rationality, humanism and so forth. Well, I was wrong. I discovered that people have a tendency to develop irrational ideas and behaviors, which could develop to become new religions. People create their own prisons, their own cults. I don't say this to be cynical, I have seen a lot of good as well, but I became a bit more realistic in my expectations of people. I see that it's not a normal thing to be rational and free, you have to work hard for this and keep challenging ideas, including your own, which is not always easy, but the rewards are great. Religion really limited in what I could be, it held me down, but now that I am free and able to think and act sensibly I have the opportunity to build an awesome, exciting and meaningful life with everything I could dream of.

I just wanted to share this. Curious to know what you think of it. I will answer any serious questions you may have.

Instead of saying what I usually do I want to ask a question, what makes you believe you were ever a Christian?

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 10, 2016 at 3:05 am)Godschild Wrote:
(July 9, 2016 at 3:16 pm)Lucifer Wrote: I have left christianity 3 years ago. Losing my faith was not a choice, it was a long process that I tried to resist, because I was scared of hell and social exclusion, but still rationality won and the result was that my faith was completely gone. Even after that it took me a lot of time to really leave the religion. I first told my friends, one by one, then my family, and finally I told the rest of the world. I was terrified of the consequences, but I had to, because I want to live authentically.

Instead of saying what I usually do I want to ask a question, what makes you believe you were ever a Christian?

GC

Before I answer, let me ask you: according to you, how does one know that one is a Christian?
Popcorn
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[waves arm like Arnold Horshak]

Psst:

snakes

tongues

healing

poison
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 951 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 9868 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 623 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6899 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2585 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 10269 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9113 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6128 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 36793 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6787 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus