Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 5:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
When someone's argument includes several stanzas from some rarified 19th century poet, you gotta ask yourself: where is he coming from?

So here's the deal:

Bel thinks the members of this forum strawman Christianity. I disagree with him here. I've expressed this to him numerous times. To me, there is this socio-cultural force that calls itself Christianity, and commonly dips its feet into the waters of ignorance. Many atheists here, myself included, feel the need to resist this socio-cultural Christianity. In other words, mainstream Christianity is something most of us here are opposed to. When we say "Christianity," we mean mainstream Christianity.

Bel wants to view Christianity a little more charitably. And if anything, it leads to some interesting discussions. But I also like where he's coming from to some degree. Rather than constantly railing on the ignorant spoutings of creationists, why not dig a little deeper and examine some of the more refined ideas Christians have had. After a while, it's boring criticizing mainstream religion. So this second kind of conversation is a welcome reprieve.

The thing I disagree with Bel on, and I think you do as well, Ferro, is Bel thinks there is only one conversation going on. There isn't. There are two. Many (if not most) of the criticisms lobbed at mainstream Christianity here are apt. It's worthwhile to state these criticisms, and that's the project of many atheists on these forums. Bel doesn't quite "get" what our beef is with Christianity.

But he's right about one thing: our usual criticisms of Christianity aren't good criticisms of Bel's more charitable concepts... like an non-anthropomorphic God. It's interesting to take a break from criticizing mainstream religion and discuss things with Bel. But I, personally, separate the two conversations. They are entirely different enterprizes.

I think Belacqua is interesting. He doesn't come off as arrogant to me. I kinda see a separation between educated Christians and noneducated ones. It's not trying to treat uneducated people's opinions as irrelevant. It's seeing that most people aren't interested at critically examining their beliefs. It's a fact of life about the world. People wanna make money, go to cookouts, help their friend move, go out for some beers, etc.. It doesn't make their opinions "not relevant." But it does mean many folks don't see the value in critically examining ideas and beliefs. They have their beliefs that they just kind of "acquired" through life experience, and those are the beliefs they'll defend. Educated people *tend* not to be in that camp. But I'm sure even many educated folks may also be like that (*cough* business majors *cough*). Uneducated people who just happen to be thoughtful (or tend to reflect a lot) are probably more inclined to critically examine beliefs.

Anyway, long story short: Bel shouldn't have used the word "educated." If he was being precise, he'd have said "Christians who critically examine their own beliefs." I can see using the word "educated" for shorthand, but it wasn't the best word to use. I didn't catch any "arrogant" vibes from that personally.

As for the rest of what you said, concerning classical Christianity and there not being "one" theology. I agree with you, and disagree with Belacqua.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Duty - March 14, 2021 at 12:58 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Seax - March 19, 2021 at 12:53 am
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by vulcanlogician - October 17, 2021 at 2:17 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 18, 2021 at 3:38 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 19, 2021 at 5:18 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 20, 2021 at 2:05 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 21, 2021 at 7:54 am
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 22, 2021 at 2:37 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 23, 2021 at 1:29 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 22, 2021 at 8:43 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Angrboda - November 23, 2021 at 10:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 13695 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3853 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3359 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 808 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3643 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The most beautiful thing to me about the world. Mystic 24 4145 November 13, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 56979 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I don't understand pantheism Der/die AtheistIn 26 6666 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Christianity is the same as Scientology Alex K 37 5883 April 9, 2017 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Alex K
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2781 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain