Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism?
HappySkeptic mentioned “soul” in his previous post, so I responded.

Some people seem to think that the “free will” is something that comes from the soul or is some kind of a “special sauce” of the soul. I don’t know, maybe I misunderstood them.
Do some of them believe that we don’t have a soul and we have free will?

(December 31, 2021 at 1:44 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: You also offered the notion that free will was the outcome or effect of programming (in the brain). Well - that's not free will - or at least not the free will that people once wished to assert (and some still do). Free will is the programmer, not the programming. The idea that our decisions are meaningfully unalike the outcome of a set process. A bootstrap paradox.

Like you said, perhaps they think that the output of a program has no meaning and that if we are a set of algorithms, then our thoughts have no meaning.
One person told me that free will means our ability to make a decision.

My response to that is, with an EXAMPLE:
A light bulb connected to a battery + breaker is a circuit that makes a decision.
When you set the state of the breaker to ON, the light bulb turns ON.
So, it looks like a system that makes a decision.

The algorithm is
if(breaker==ON)
   Lightbulb=ON;
else
   Lightbulb=OFF;

EXAMPLE:
We can also change the breaker. Let’s put a photoconductor in its place.

if(photoconductor detects light)
   Lightbulb=OFF;
else
   Lightbulb=ON;

EXAMPLE:
A human can walk around a maze and make decisions to not run into the walls. He can walk around and make a map in his memory and try to figure out how to get out.

We can make a robot that does the same thing.

------------------------
Like you said, maybe some of these guys (theists and atheists and the other flavors) mean something else when they say free will. It’s the special sauce that they want to believe that they have and they want to think that they are different than a calculator. Some of them want to think of themselves as some sort of supreme ultra being that is a few degrees shorter than the big giant brain (the god).

There is also the question of the other apes. Do they have free will or are they just robots?
What about cows and pigs?
What about emotions? Do they have emotions?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Duty - March 14, 2021 at 12:58 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Seax - March 19, 2021 at 12:53 am
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 18, 2021 at 3:38 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 19, 2021 at 5:18 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 20, 2021 at 2:05 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 21, 2021 at 7:54 am
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 22, 2021 at 2:37 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 23, 2021 at 1:29 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Alan V - November 22, 2021 at 8:43 pm
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Angrboda - November 23, 2021 at 10:04 am
RE: Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? - by Ferrocyanide - January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 13694 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3853 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3359 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 808 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3643 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The most beautiful thing to me about the world. Mystic 24 4145 November 13, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 56976 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I don't understand pantheism Der/die AtheistIn 26 6666 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Christianity is the same as Scientology Alex K 37 5883 April 9, 2017 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Alex K
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2781 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain