Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 3:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
(March 29, 2022 at 10:18 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(March 29, 2022 at 10:05 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: As someone who used to be much more fundamentalist as a child, who is now much more open to allegories, I’d say, yes to the OP. But I probably couldn’t be more biased in saying so. lol

I'm curious how far you take the notion of allegorization. After all, even hardcore fundamentalists think that some things in the Bible are allegory.

Some modern Christians deem Jesus' miracles to be allegory. It makes sense when you consider things like the "feeding many with a few fish." Obviously meant by the author to convey some sort of basic fact about community, compassion, and sharing. At least to me anyway. What's your take on that?

Some Christians I've spoken to see the creation story and the "wilder tales" listed in the Bible as allegory, but insist that "the death and resurrection" are historical occurrences. Where do you lie on that scale, if you don't mind my asking?

It’s a very good question, but one that is surprisingly hard to answer right now as it tends to shift to some degree almost daily. For most of my youth I was a YEC but then at around 17 I became more open to theistic evolution. Over the next ten years I stayed relatively stable with my views, with the exception of taking certain things in the Old Testament allegorically (for example Isaiah’s statement of God “creating evil”, or my interpretation of God sending plagues, I was becoming more Pentecostal therefore no longer believing God had anything to do with diseases.) but then at the end of that ten year period, I dove in head first into textual criticism, thinking it’d be easy to debunk and well… it wasn’t. I dealt with a major deconstruction and over the past five years I’ve been in a period of reconstruction when it comes to my faith and how to apply it. I’ve become much more fideistic in my theology of faith, as opposed to the past where I would point to the Bible as ‘hard core evidence’ (a concept, which ironically, I don’t think is even scriptural). So… it’s kind of hard to explain. I can tell you that I choose to embrace faith in Jesus Christ wholeheartedly but the way I do so now is so different than before, I don’t really know where I fit on that spectrum because it changes a lot.

Edit: I can say that I still hold to the view that the death and the resurrection are real. But I embrace that view now more out of a decision in faith, than simply because ‘the Bible says so’. Also I’m more willing to acknowledging differences in the accounts of the death and resurrection between the gospel accounts. I’m not nearly as fixated on harmonizing everything as I used to be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? - by JairCrawford - March 29, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2886 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 3057 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10673 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I am better than God! chimp3 24 4756 September 26, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Creationists are better than inconsistent Christians orangedude 14 1965 April 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11129 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5018 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4595 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2301 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20103 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon