Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion
Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politic...is-motives

Quote:What 95 percent of all suicide attacks have in common, since 1980, is not religion, but a specific strategic motivation to respond to a military intervention, often specifically a military occupation, of territory that the terrorists view as their homeland or prize greatly. From Lebanon and the West Bank in the 80s and 90s, to Iraq and Afghanistan, and up through the Paris suicide attacks we’ve just experienced in the last days, military intervention—and specifically when the military intervention is occupying territory—that’s what prompts suicide terrorism more than anything else.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion
But then that's the fundamental difference between Islam and western religions; their religion and their politics are one in the same. And when radicalized, there is hardly a difference between the two.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I'm old enough to have witnessed Palestinian terror switch from leftist/nationalist to radical religious. It started to happen in 1987 with the first Intifada. Of course, it has some kind of political motivations. The only question that noone asks is, what are the superiors thinking? Are they using Djihad and religion merely as a tool or are they believing what their propaganda is about.

There's that old saying of Know thy enemy. You can shorten it to brains before brawns. This is what's sorely missing when combatting terrorism.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 13, 2015 at 6:59 pm)Exian Wrote: But then that's the fundamental difference between Islam and western religions; their religion and their politics are one in the same. And when radicalized, there is hardly a difference between the two.

Not really. The political condition facing People of Islamic countries of the near east, both the chronic ones that have persisted since around 1948, and periodically accute ones, created a moral exhaustion and disillusionment with the potential for secular forces to address the problems, that allowed religion to appear to offer a deceptively easier, clearer and less ambigious solution.

The most effective and proactive means of addressing these problems between 1948 and around 1980 had been mostly secular throughout most of middleeast.
Long been known.  The organiziers of a suicide attack rarely carry the bombs.  They have a political aim, a longer term plan.  They go get the devout ones to do the deed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This seems like common sense, no?
Suicide terrorism isn't the same thing as terrorism. I'd imagine that the study examines suicide terrorism in particular because they are trying to make this point to start with and set the parameters to include the Tamil Tigers. I don't think that a knowledgeable political science professor chose that 1980 date by coincidence, nor limited the study to 'suicide attacks' by coincidence. These are the results he wanted to get from the start and manipulated his parameters to get them. Which makes them pretty worthless, if you ask me.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Quote:The only question that noone asks is, what are the superiors thinking?

Something along the lines of "you go blow yourself up....I've have more important work to do."
Other than religion or politics have you considered other motives. If you discount monetary and materialism, especially by those running the show, you may be fooling yourselves.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Ever though about the term "easy way out" ?
A lost of westerners don't even know the hell most Middle Eastern people live in, since the 40s. You guessed that right : since Sykes-Picot agreement.

The regular Middle Eastern is treated like an animal; a cow, only used to bring income to some warlords.
The local warlords get their arms from the west.

So typically, lots of people grow a severe complex of hate towards both the warlords, and of course : their supporters who happen to be westerners.
In moments of anger, there is no difference between a French and a British : they all "look western; they all look like the supporters of the Arab warlords".

Never wondered, why China & Japan are so faraway from the Muslim terrorism? they support nobody in the region, that's why less people hate them.

Religion is only a background song, that adds romanticism to the blow.
Since immigration is so hard, and promises of a better life are so rare, some people decide to blow themselves up taking with them the warlords & their supporters from the west.

It's an easy equation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? vulcanlogician 147 7798 April 5, 2022 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1560 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 367 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2877 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9553 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Baphomet more American than 10 Commandments Foxaèr 13 1478 August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4503 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Dalai Lama says that terrorists have no religion Aegon 12 1752 September 28, 2016 at 2:58 am
Last Post: InsaneDane
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3669 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3482 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet