Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 4:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
(April 1, 2022 at 8:55 am)Angrboda Wrote: I am inclined to define the soul as that part of human nature which is not understood (the poorly illuminated corners of being human, like consciousness, meaning, monsters, and so on).

I didn't realize we were discussing the nature of the soul, but I see what you mean here. 

Quote:That being said, these things remain fertile ground because we have no bottom-up explanation for them.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "fertile ground." Do you mean that people still speculate about it? That people are inclined to offer religious explanations because the scientific explanations are not yet available?

Quote:You're basically confirming my point that religion is about the extra-mundane.  Extra-mundane doesn't mean unfamiliar.

I don't see how I'm doing this. I just said that the mundane and the divine are not separate. That the divine is immanent in the mundane. 

Quote:We are all familiar with plenty of phenomenon that defies mundane explanation.  Put it into a different perspective.  Suppose in the 26th century we will have mapped out the brain and what is actually happening when a Zen monk experiences satori and it's readily demonstrated that there is nothing mystical about it.

I spent some years working on Zen in Japan, including time spent at an intensive retreat in the mountains north of Fukuyama. 

Satori was always presented to me as a change in perception. It is not magic, it doesn't involve the supernatural. It involves changing the habits of mind. It is spiritual, but it's not mystical at all (in the way that we think of Western mysticism).

I don't think any Zen person would be surprised or bothered by complete brain mapping. There would be no reason for him to change his religion at all. There is some question as to whether the experience could be artificially induced, since satori generally involves practices and personal experiences which would not be present if the same brain state were induced with electrodes or whatever. 

In this sense satori is similar to the Western mystics I mentioned earlier, who see revelation as improved perception of what has been there all along. The change is in the perceiver.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? - by Belacqua - April 1, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2904 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 3066 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10722 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I am better than God! chimp3 24 4762 September 26, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Creationists are better than inconsistent Christians orangedude 14 1980 April 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11154 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5027 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4603 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2303 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20121 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon