Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 7:02 am

Poll: Could a god prove that he was God?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
81.82%
9 81.82%
Never, no matter the evidences.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
RE: Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
(January 15, 2023 at 1:34 pm)Objectivist Wrote:
(January 12, 2023 at 1:05 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: As I recall, “Existence exists,” was considered axiomatic by Rand but I find vague and useless as premise. What exactly categories of being does Rand include in existence? Physical bodies? Sets and numbers? And Rand dashes off to fight communism before dealing with the complex questions such as if there is a distinction between Being-As-Such and Being-In-Itself, etc. Does this particular physical reality exhaust the fullness of what is, as just an incurious brute fact, or is it a manifestation of one possibility out all possible worlds within a larger reality that includes necessary and true transcendent principles and powers across all possible worlds. My vote is for the larger reality. YMMV.
I disagree with everything that you said but I'm going to confine my response to this one point, since it answers all the rest. 

It is axiomatic.  It's the formal recognition in the form of a philosophic principle that things exist, that there is a reality.  You ask what categories are included in the concept 'existence'.  All of them.  Everything that exists is included in the concept 'existence'.  Whether you find this vague or useless is irrellevant.  It identifies a fact of reality and that's what concepts and principles do.  Do you know what a principle is?  A principle is a conceptual identification of a general truth that other truths rest on.  Knowlege is hierarchical.  The axiom of existence occupies a very special place in the hierarchy of knowledge. The axiom of existence is the widest of all possible truths which all other truths rest on.  In the act of recognizing this most fundamental fact, we grasp two other facts, if only implicitly; that something exists that we are aware of and that we exist possessing consciousness.

The very first question to be resolved in all of knowledge arises from these two recognitions.  What is the relationship between a conscious subject and its objects, an object being anything we are aware of or consider? That question has to be answered before you can go on to learn anything else about existence.  All knowledge is a mental grasp of an object by some subject, therefore the orientation of the subject-object relationship is a general truth that all other truths rest on.  That orientation is directly observable.  The objects of consciousness have metaphysical primacy over the subject of consciousness.  That means that things are what they are and do what they do independently of consciousness.  Anyone can test this at any time and at any place.  Pick any object in the range of your senses and think about it being different.  Think about it rising in the air and twirling around.  Does it obey or does it remain what and how it is?

These are those truths that we can be certain of because without them no knowledge is possible.  As soon as anyone says "it is" they are implicit.  It (existence) is (exists) and since this is a statement of knowledge (consciousness), the subject-object relationship is also implicit.  These truths are necessary and they are inescapable.  These truths are the defeater of the notion of the Christian God.

As the base of all knowledge anything that contradicts one of these principles can not be true.  They are the standard by which all truth is judged.  The notion of the Christian God violates all of them.  Therefore, I can know for certain that the claim that the Christian God exists  can not be true, and is self contradictory.   

Existence exists and consciousness exists.  Consciousness is the faculty that perceives and identifies what exists but does not create or alter what exists.   If you reject these truths then you have to reject all statements of knowledge but even this would assume the very thing rejected because if existence doesn't exist then there's nothing to reject and no consciousness to reject it.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how "existence exists" explains why/how particular things exist. Yes, existence is real, but so what? How is this more explanatory than saying God exists (for example)?

For example, how do you get from "existence exists" to "this local universe exists". How does a principle do that exactly?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? - by GrandizerII - January 15, 2023 at 8:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1124 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2806 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33664 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 7219 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4301 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 837 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4688 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8945 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 14408 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Could Ireland be restored? EringoBragh 28 4310 August 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4