Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Ireland be restored?
Could Ireland be restored?
We all know countries change. First they are one way, then they are another.

I love Ireland, but I am sort of sad about the direction it has chosen to take in the past 25 years or so.

They have legalized divorce, contraception, and now gay marriage. I get part of the reason this happened was the decline of faith among Irishmen and Irishwomen. But I have to think part of it was foreign international "colonialist" thinking.

People who thought the Irish were "backward" and needed to be "modern." That way of thinking is sort of offensive IMO, as if a group of people can't decide what is good for them.

As it stands.. how likely is it Ireland could "turn back the clock" and be restored to being a truly Catholic nation?

I want it to be so.... but I won't hold my breath Sad
RE: Could Ireland be restored?
Back to pre-Christian times?
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 28, 2016 at 6:42 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Back to pre-Christian times?

No. Back to the "Holy Catholic Ireland" of Eamon De Valera, one where the RCC had a special place in government.

Pretty sure St. Patrick would be turning in his grave if he saw what Ireland has become
(April 28, 2016 at 6:37 pm)EringoBragh Wrote: We all know countries change. First they are one way, then they are another.

I love Ireland, but I am sort of sad about the direction it has chosen to take in the past 25 years or so.

They have legalized divorce, contraception, and now gay marriage. I get part of the reason this happened was the decline of faith among Irishmen and Irishwomen. But I have to think part of it was foreign international "colonialist" thinking.

People who thought the Irish were "backward" and needed to be "modern." That way of thinking is sort of offensive IMO, as if a group of people can't decide what is good for them.

As it stands.. how likely is it Ireland could "turn back the clock" and be restored to being a truly Catholic nation?

I want it to be so.... but I won't hold my breath Sad

You're a thoroughly unpleasant person, and you sound more than a little familiar. I await the Ban Hammer with nipples all a-quiver.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What lead you to believe that ATHEIST forums was the best place to ask this question?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
I just feel Ireland has fallen victim to the globalist, anti Catholic agenda.

There are not enough nuns anymore to care for all who need their help and support.

I was taught by nuns and fear the lack of people who have the courage to commit to celibacy
It could be. Join your countries politics and dictate it the way you want to.
(April 28, 2016 at 6:43 pm)EringoBragh Wrote:
(April 28, 2016 at 6:42 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Back to pre-Christian times?

No. Back to the "Holy Catholic Ireland" of Eamon De Valera, one where the RCC had a special place in government.

Pretty sure St. Patrick would be turning in his grave if he saw what Ireland has become

Back to Celtic times would be far more interesting and, likely, better for the people.
(April 28, 2016 at 6:47 pm)EringoBragh Wrote: I just feel Ireland has fallen victim to the globalist, anti Catholic agenda.

There are not enough nuns anymore to care for all who need their help and support.

I was taught by nuns and fear the lack of people who have the courage to commit to celibacy

Wasn't it a workhouse that was found to have a mass grave recently?
Link please! And mass grave? idk, but the people were dead. They had to bury them somewhere.

Its not like the nuns ran some internment camp or something. They were caring for unfortunate souls who helped earn their keep by doing laundry occassionally

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1091 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 8926 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4094 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 803 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4580 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 13922 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Magdalene Horrors in Ireland God of Mr. Hanky 12 2012 February 27, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: MTL
  If I could change one thing about religion... robvalue 26 6371 January 9, 2016 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theists Could Learn Much From Booker Minimalist 1 1598 August 13, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Could this be the worst argument for a deity yet? ReptilianPeon 15 5154 July 4, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd