Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what point does faith become insanity?
RE: At what point does faith become insanity?
I'm always struck by how accidental life can be. I was waiting at the bus stop yesterday, and there was a woman, likely homeless, who had just arrived with a sign begging for food. I didn't have anything to give her, so I didn't. But she became agitated at the lack of response she was getting from people and gave up after about 10 minutes. I and another person remarked about feeling sad for her, but as I remarked at the time, there are plenty of places about town where you can get a free meal. And I was thinking afterward that if you go to any hospital or government center you can talk to someone, usually a social worker, who can help you with information about the resources that you can access. And I thought about the mission in St. Paul that I go past once a week on my way to Maplewood, and how like the mission in St. Paul, there are multiple centers about the city where you can get sorted, at least temporarily. But I only know about the one in St. Paul and a homeless shelter downtown. And this woman probably doesn't know about getting help from hospitals, or government centers, and community drop-in centers. It's just an accident of birth and life that she wasn't born with the mental resources that I have, and that she doesn't know about the resources that she could be drawing upon, likely due to never having been exposed to them. So, just by poor, shit luck, she is facing a situation which feels overwhelming and out of control, not because of anything she did or omitted act, but just because she hasn't had the advantages that I have had and the knowledge that I have, which, if she had, would make her situation something she could likely navigate and manage. Instead, by sheer shitty luck, she finds herself on the street, in crisis, trying to manage a situation she has no idea of how to manage.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: At what point does faith become insanity? - by h4ym4n - April 29, 2023 at 5:22 am
RE: At what point does faith become insanity? - by no one - April 29, 2023 at 7:51 am
RE: At what point does faith become insanity? - by brewer - April 30, 2023 at 9:22 pm
RE: At what point does faith become insanity? - by Angrboda - May 4, 2023 at 10:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1315 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  When Did the Jews Become Jres? Rhondazvous 10 1077 April 29, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 996 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 12061 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13997 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 931 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4355 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3671 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 14230 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33945 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77