Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air?
Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air?
Okay, so now I'd distanced myself from the church for a few months now.

Three months ago, my partner asked me if I had faith in the air we breath.

Of course my answer was no, because it is obviously and irrefutably there.

You could guess what that person asked next! 

Next question was: "So why do you have faith in God?"

Thinking about that question for several weeks now, and I'm having a strange feeling. 

Am I overthinking because I can't think of a strong answer? What am I missing?
RE: Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air?
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

You don't need faith for something you know exists.
But you do need faith or hope for things to be true that may not exist according to evidence. Eg: I have faith that humanity won't nuke themselves into oblivion.
But it doesn't mean it won't happen.
It's just wishful thinking.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 18, 2017 at 6:42 pm)ignoramus Wrote: The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

You don't need faith for something you know exists.
But you do need faith or hope for things to be true that may not exist according to evidence.  Eg: I have faith that humanity won't nuke themselves into oblivion.
But it doesn't mean it won't happen.
It's just wishful thinking.

My goodness!
(December 18, 2017 at 6:31 pm)MellisaClarke Wrote: Okay, so now I'd distanced myself from the church for a few months now.

Thinking about that question for several weeks now, and I'm having a strange feeling. 

Faith is only required for holding onto a dearly beloved falsehood.
I had (past tense) at one time faith the Catholic Church's pedophilia problem would be amenable to legal sanctions and vigorous in-house measures. And this was back in the mid 1980s when I was active in the ACLU and the matter came tp our attention. (IIRC the ACLU 'angle' was the church's separate and unregulated and unmonitored, by the state authorities, criminal system for dealing with their problem without attracting undue public notice. We noticed)

Anyhow, ~30 years later, I don't think I'm cynical, just icily hardened to their protracted resistance to ever get ahead of their 1500 (by their own documentation) year old problem. I'm not being sarcastic, at all, when I assert the church needs to make pedophilia a sacrament. It's the ONLY way out for them [PERIOD]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 18, 2017 at 11:20 pm)SupernaturalProof Wrote:   Call 1-800-275-1126 to learn why atheism is foolish, and God is real

AAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahaha: http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/hoyle...dimond.pdf
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
No one will make that call. What an idiot. Is that url about this poster?

Weird. Just went looking for this guy's other posts and the seven of them indicated became zero. I assume it was just the same pathetic phone call come on. Who in their right mind would call that number?
(December 18, 2017 at 6:31 pm)MellisaClarke Wrote: Okay, so now I'd distanced myself from the church for a few months now.

That strange feeling has a name: cognitive dissonance.

Also, you do realize you're asking a den of heathens for advice regarding a spiritual matter, right? While this may be the religion section, the bulk of us are atheist. Given that we don't believe in gods (and typically the things associated with them, like the notion of a spiritual self, angels, devils, divine anything, etc.) you can probably anticipate our answers, which may not be what you're looking for if you want to keep your faith.

Youre pretty much already there, OP. Youre a budding atheist, methinks.

What you are missing is the Holy Spirit trying to show you the truth.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3865 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1243 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 933 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10959 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12252 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33087 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 204005 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3263 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis