Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death
Comfort in Faith at Death
So, one of the only reasons why I'm not anti-theist is that I see a good reason why people are religious-comfort. I know that death is frightening, but my mother has been dying for six months and hasn't shed a tear. She knows she'll be with her dead family and god, the god she believes in, who is loving and kind. She is starting to see her aunt, who passed away a long time ago. That comforts her. I'll tell you what, I'm quite happy for her faith now that she's at the point of death. It has given her a coping mechanism that is deeply ingrained in her psyche. For her, Heaven awaits her. It's a beautiful thing. There isn't a single ounce of harm in it.

How do you feel about finding comfort in faith while dying? Please don't use my mother's situation as an example. I'm bound to take debate about it personally.
RE: Comfort in Faith at Death
I think you'll find most atheists don't bash theists for finding comfort in religion during times of stress. Whatever helps get you through the day. It's the more harmful actions that cause friction. The people that want to run "make America straight again" during LGBTQ pride month have more focus.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I share your feelings about anti-theism.

Two things I've always missed/been jealous of about religious faith, particularly the Judeo-Christian ones I'm most familiar with, are comfort at the end and community. I'll never begrudge anyone for minding their own business and taking comfort in what--on the face of it, is a nice thing.

I'm really glad your mom has that comfort.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Death in my opinion is not frightening. It is inevitable. I am not afraid of dying.
Now the way that I will die, that is what what concerns me.
Especially for those who know their death is coming because there is no cure or the 'cure' will kill them, I think that whatever comfort they can find to get through that time is just fine with me. I certainly am not going to be the one to take away whatever it is that helps them to leave this life with less stress.

Who is it hurting? End of life or at the time of grieving isn't the time to take the belief is a hereafter away from people. They are already dealing with enough physically, mentally, and emotionally.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

If I have to watch someone die, I would choose calm and happy over crying and scared every single time.
Also, if I have to see someone struggle in life, I would much rather see them struggle with hope and confidence surrounded by a community that loves them than to see them struggle alone completely hopeless. That’s not to say that atheists are incapable of feeling peace in hard times or death. I just think it’s especially easier for theists to pass in peace. And I think it’s a good thing. If I could, when it came time for me, I would program my brain to suddenly believe something much happier and better was awaiting me.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 23, 2019 at 9:05 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I think you'll find most atheists don't bash theists for finding comfort in religion during times of stress. Whatever helps get you through the day. It's the more harmful actions that cause friction. The people that want to run "make America straight again" during LGBTQ pride month have more focus.

No, no. I don't think atheists bash theists for finding comfort in faith at their times of death. I'm just wondering how people feel about that comfort, whether it's helpful, harmful, they wish they could have that comfort, etc. I just mentioned not using my mom as an example because I'm not really looking to analyze her death, so much as see how other people react to a situation I'm watching right now.
(June 23, 2019 at 9:10 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I share your feelings about anti-theism.

Two things I've always missed/been jealous of about religious faith, particularly the Judeo-Christian ones I'm most familiar with, are comfort at the end and community. I'll never begrudge anyone for minding their own business and taking comfort in what--on the face of it, is a nice thing.

I'm really glad your mom has that comfort.

Thank you. I am too. I wish I could share it with her.
I'd say it doesn't hurt. Whatever you want to think about, or do, to keep calm when dying, is all fine. whether it's true or not is another topic.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 23, 2019 at 9:28 pm)Losty Wrote: If I have to watch someone die, I would choose calm and happy over crying and scared every single time.
Also, if I have to see someone struggle in life, I would much rather see them struggle with hope and confidence surrounded by a community that loves them than to see them struggle alone completely hopeless. That’s not to say that atheists are incapable of feeling peace in hard times or death. I just think it’s especially easier for theists to pass in peace. And I think it’s a good thing. If I could, when it came time for me, I would program my brain to suddenly believe something much happier and better was awaiting me.
Beautiful words! I struggled much of my life with hope and confidence as my only friends only to be rejected by the community that loves me. Yes they love me but, damned if they don't get it! Life ain't easy but it is mandatory! To rise above it all is sweet, sweet vindication of my faith and hope! Yet, does anyone realize that I walked off a cliff onto an invisible bridge learning that God's Word is a light to my path and a guide to my feet? Shit Dude, I have been to hell and back on that bridge! Yet, when I look back, it's always solid ground! "To boldly go where no one has gone before" is my life story. That was not a bragamony. I've had up to here! Yet, it never ends! People keep telling me I'm smart because I'm rich when in reality I'm a freaked-out dumbass!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3867 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1244 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 933 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12259 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13257 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Comfort purplepurpose 45 10635 November 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33095 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 204025 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet