Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist who is having a crisis of faith
Atheist who is having a crisis of faith
I need some good logic to convince me to stay an atheist or at least an agnostic. I have been researching the bible and found out that throughout the old testament, well shit, it says that Jesus during his crucifixtion will experience darkness on the earth. And according to historian Josephus and Thailiius there was a weird omen that day. Now NASA just announced that there was a lunar eclipse during his crucifixtion time in a.d. 30, so now NASA is backing it up, not only that they say there was a lunar eclipse when Christ was born, they have been able to narrow it down. So knowing this could be a possibility and there was darkness during it, how do you explain it? How in the old testament, sprinkled throughout the damn thing they make literal prophecy about the earth being dark for hours, then it happened according to NASA. I am starting to wonder if this Christ fella might be real, but I need some logic, I am a schizoaffective type and have bad ocd so I'm writing this and reaching out to the atheist communityj. I don't belive much of the bible myself, I Do believe that he was crucified though and why would josephus  and thalius lie about the darkness? I get the Christians lying but not the others, Does this seem like it might make you believe? How do you explain the old testament knew about the darkness?
RE: Atheist who is having a crisis of faith
I'm going to start with your title.

An atheist cannot have a crisis of faith because atheism is not faith-based.

To move on to the contents of your post: if I say, At some point in the future, it is going to rain that does not mean I have a gift of prophecy. It merely means that I have experienced and observed the phenomenon and I have logically predicted that it will rain again in the future.

Anyone with dark days experience in the past could have easily attributed lunar eclipses to magic when they clearly did not fully comprehend the science behind it. In fact, prophecy tends to be so common and vague that of course they appear to be prophets when they are not.

On another note, as far as I understand, an individual named Jesus never existed.
(April 28, 2019 at 5:04 am)emilsein Wrote: I need some good logic to convince me to stay an atheist or at least an agnostic. I have been researching the bible and found out that throughout the old testament, well shit, it says that Jesus during his crucifixtion will experience darkness on the earth. And according to historian Josephus and Thailiius there was a weird omen that day. Now NASA just announced that there was a lunar eclipse during his crucifixtion time in a.d. 30, so now NASA is backing it up, not only that they say there was a lunar eclipse when Christ was born, they have been able to narrow it down. So knowing this could be a possibility and there was darkness during it, how do you explain it? How in the old testament, sprinkled throughout the damn thing they make literal prophecy about the earth being dark for hours, then it happened according to NASA. I am starting to wonder if this Christ fella might be real, but I need some logic, I am a schizoaffective type and have bad ocd so I'm writing this and reaching out to the atheist communityj. I don't belive much of the bible myself, I Do believe that he was crucified though and why would josephus  and thalius lie about the darkness? I get the Christians lying but not the others, Does this seem like it might make you believe? How do you explain the old testament knew about the darkness?

I'm thinking evangelical Christian pretending, for some reason, to be an atheist judging by this post.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

How does an atheist have a crisis of faith?
If you’ve found irrefutable evidence to believe in a god, then by all means go for it. If you’ve decided you want to believe even if the evidence is shaky, go for that.
You don’t choose to be an atheist, so you don’t need any faith at all. People are atheists by default if they don’t believe in any gods.

As for the Jesus thing...even if Jesus existed, and a lot of people believe he did, that doesn’t make him a Christ and it doesn’t mean there’s a god. It simply means some dude was probably crucified and maybe there was an eclipse when it happened. That really means nothing.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Mmmmm, maybe the sun is the eyes of God? ... you think he covered his eyes in shame as he crucified his son to cover up his previous fuck ups?
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
(April 28, 2019 at 5:04 am)emilsein Wrote: I need some good logic to convince me to stay an atheist or at least an agnostic.

I think that you are a troll.
(April 28, 2019 at 5:04 am)emilsein Wrote: Atheist who is having a crisis of faith

I know how you feel. I myself am loosing my faith in my lack of faith in horoscopes.

(April 28, 2019 at 5:04 am)emilsein Wrote: Now NASA just announced that there was a lunar eclipse during his crucifixtion time in a.d. 30, so now NASA is backing it up, not only that they say there was a lunar eclipse when Christ was born, they have been able to narrow it down. So knowing this could be a possibility and there was darkness during it, how do you explain it?

What does lunar eclipse have to do with Jesus? You do realize that lunar eclipses happen during night?

(April 28, 2019 at 5:04 am)emilsein Wrote: I am a schizoaffective type and have bad ocd

Then there's no hope for you because this is a diagnosis for a real Christian.
But it was overcast that day so it didn't matter. ........ Al Roker.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 28, 2019 at 6:41 am)emilsein Wrote: Now NASA just announced that there was a lunar eclipse during his crucifixtion time in a.d. 30, so now NASA is backing it up, not only that they say there was a lunar eclipse when Christ was born, they have been able to narrow it down. So knowing this could be a possibility and there was darkness during it, how do you explain it?

What does lunar eclipse have to do with Jesus? You do realize that lunar eclipses happen during night?

And, only when the Moon is full, which means that it rises exactly when the Sun sets and sets when the Sun rises.
I guess I just don't understand why the Jews made up all that shit in the old testament to begin with. Maybe it was a solar eclipse, I don't know the info was kinda shaky and from very off websites that I don't really trust but, the fact that they think he was born during a solar eclipse b/c of facts or perceived info in the bible and josephus was talking about a son who was born at a simliar time and there was a solar eclipse. The old testament says that the days will be dark during while he's up there on that fucking cross, that's not just some vague prophecy, that's like saying I'm going to get some tabasco from Rita tomorrow, now that's exact, and eclipses don't have happen everyday like rain. Why diid the OT make up the messiah and then not believe in him when he came? Also have you studied the martydorm of the apostles, now we only have a few nonbiblical sources and yes that fuck Josephus is one of them. He says that Jesus' brother was martyred, why would he lie? B/c martydorm is kinda strange, to say you saw him rise from the dead, not just dying for an idea but a lie, ppl don't lie, they do die for religion, but lies, just curious if this is making you question your faith , the fact that the eclipse literally happened when he was on that cross and that two secular historians say it happened, are we now going down the road that their lying, and even NASA? does it bother you he had an eclipse at birth supposedly and at death, or you gonna chalk that up to chance to?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3642 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1197 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 923 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10650 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 815 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4158 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13052 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 31597 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 199756 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3211 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis