Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Argument from Degrees contradictory to the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics?
RE: Is the Argument from Degrees contradictory to the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics?
(June 26, 2023 at 5:52 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(June 25, 2023 at 12:50 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: If I correctly remember what were taught in our philosophy classes, he is the author of the Correspondence Theory of Truth. Which is, I think, the least philosophically problematic theory of truth. Sure, it does make it tough to explain how could statements such as "Had Balsac not made a living of his writing, he wouldn't have written 20'000 pages of text." be true, but Coherentism just opens way more problems than it solves. And Pragmatism ("Truth is that which is useful.") is, in my opinion, even more ridiculous than Coherentism. The Correspondence Theory of the Truth makes by far the most sense.

The Correspondence Theory of Truth is the one that most people use in science and their daily life.  There is a sense that there is a single reality, and that statements are correct when they correspond to reality.  This single reality is what allows us to ask questions and get consistent answers.

The problem with it, is that there is no way to prove this "thing that truth corresponds to" actually exists.  All we have is our consistent set of answers to questions, with which we build models.  Our models are useful if they provide predictions.  The "things" within the model have no guarantee of existence beyond their use in the model.

An example is Space-Time.  Does it exist, or is it just a mathematical abstraction?  I don't know.  We could find another model that doesn't include it.

And what, precisely, do you mean when you say that something 'exists'?

I usually think of existence as a defined quality that corresponds to whatever all minimal predictive theories agree upon. So, if all such theories agree that something exists, it does.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Argument from Degrees contradictory to the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics? - by polymath257 - June 26, 2023 at 6:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blasphemy law in the United States Interaktive 37 4058 February 2, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Yongy50
  Is atheism self-contradictory ? Parsim0ny 259 87940 July 3, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  How would you write a one-liner law against theism? strawberryBacteria 33 7602 September 15, 2015 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Alex K
Wink Peter Millican lays down the law. Pizza 4 1903 March 18, 2015 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  The one disputed law of atheism for the readily confused fr0d0 16 5393 May 5, 2013 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Proposed law against atheist HS students Brian37 34 8660 January 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Worthless degrees at some Christian universities. Ziploc Surprise 20 4044 November 3, 2011 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  The purpose of Law Girlysprite 29 5734 June 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Solam affirmation against the law in 6 states? binny 1 1438 December 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc