Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions
RE: The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions
Thank you for your short and accurate answers and sorry for my long and complicated answers but I think this is important.

After the atrocities of Charlie Hebdo in January 2015 that maniac (and no, I’m not going to mention his name) was yelling “We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad!”

Now most ordinary Muslims will disagree with this kind of barbaric acts but I know that there are a good percentage of them, among the supporters of the ruling political islamist party here who will silently agree with this act by saying things like “Yes but, why did this guy insult our Prophet?” or things like that.

So that’s when my approach and my interpretation of the issue comes in.

1) The prophet is dead. This means that he left his body some 1500 years ago. He is no longer in this world. There is like zero you can do to him. Therefore there is no way to avenge him either. If he has a legacy, I am part of those who mostly reject the value of the Hadith (the recorded sayings of the prophet), so if he has a legacy, that legacy is our Holy Book. So if you “love” the prophet, this can only mean that you need to try to understand his legacy, that is the original meaning of his teachings (like any other great spiritual leader).

2) I am a reader of an important scholar called Y.N. Öztürk (https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya%C5%9Far...zt%C3%BCrk). In some place around the world people keep relics like “the beard of the prophet” or “the footprint of the prophet” or “the pice of the clothes of the prophet” or even “the personal belongings / the sword of the prophet”. Now these last one (Sword / clothes etc) may have some historical value. But otherwise, the Islamic doctrine itself is saying that none of these objects have any religious value whatsoever. In fact the reason why the prophet has act for no picture to be made of him, was to try to avoid some of the perceived mistakes that was committed in Christianity. In this doctrine, the “ordinary man / messenger” status of the prophet is emphasized. So the reason why he wasn’t even represented in pictures is not that he taught people to murder anyone who chooses to do so, it’s because he said “See, I’m just a man, I’m like you, try to be like me, do not worship me”.

And again, my personal spiritual view: someone who does not understand this may be missing the whole point. And that’s bigger than some murderous B.d. Once someone asked a famous sage in India “Sir are you God?”, the sage said “Yes, and so are you”.

Now this is a deeper subject. But that’s the whole point of the entire issue (the way I understand it). And I define something that is the exact opposite of what I am trying to explain here as idolatry. And I think I must be correct on this. There was another Muslim at some point in some other part of this this forum. I think he would agree with me as well. Right?  Smile
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions - by Leonardo17 - July 26, 2023 at 2:52 am
RE: The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions - by Belacqua - September 22, 2023 at 7:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gender Issues and Religion (especially Abrahamic Religions) Leonardo17 4 401 January 4, 2024 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  The issue of Rİtual Washing (of dead coprses) in Islam Leonardo17 8 1316 August 13, 2023 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The issue of Blasphemy in Islam Leonardo17 46 3821 October 8, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The issue of Sin Leonardo17 23 2260 September 30, 2022 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  The Abrahamic sacrifice of his son. Mystic 182 19812 March 29, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is Islam more or less violent in Its teachings then other religions? Goosebump 38 6386 June 9, 2015 at 3:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Western Religions Have No Monopoly on Lunatics BrianSoddingBoru4 19 3080 May 29, 2015 at 12:56 am
  Shia-Sunni issue and proofs? Mystic 27 6260 March 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm
  Bill Maher: Islam in not like other religions mralstoner 1 1116 September 14, 2014 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Muslim leaders issue a fatwa against anyone living on Mars Gooders1002 19 4982 February 24, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Assimilate