Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The media won't say this, and neither apparently will the police, so I will.
RE: The media won't say this, and neither apparently will the police, so I will.
Well, my four-penn'orth (for what it's worth) is that deep down, past the layers of sophistication in which we clothe ourselves, humans are still animals and will behave with animal instincts at times; probably more times than any of us would feel comfortable admitting. Like everyone else I don't know enough about the woman in the news article to pass opinion on her mental state or cognitive abilities. I am, however, aware that like most species we tend not to accept the prospect of our own imminent demise.

How many times have we seen the buxom, swimsuited teen in a horror flick just stand there watching while the deformed maniac raises his axe over her head, and we in the audience are thinking "look, just kick him in the bollocks and feckin' leg it, he's got a feckin' axe"? Script necessity is only part of it; it also has something to do with the thought that this can't be happening to me. Same reason for why rabbits freeze in the road and get turned into Frisbees - it's not happening. It seems to be one of those instincts that we haven't had time to evolve out of the species, if it's even possible to do so. Improper attribution of Darwin Awards notwithstanding.

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Messages In This Thread
RE: The media won't say this, and neither apparently will the police, so I will. - by Cyberman - January 10, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Media Foxaèr 3 526 September 30, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 7106 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2446 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Environmental charities, what say you? Brian37 11 976 December 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: no one
  How WON’T You Die? BrianSoddingBoru4 63 4594 June 17, 2020 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1175 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1860 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1645 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2329 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1158 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67