Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 2:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support
In previous years, I had a coping mechanism that worked really well for me. I would tell myself that God has already provided me with the resources (reason and an indomitable spirit) and the rest was up to me, that I would find a way to make everything work out. It was, I felt, a more empowering and responsible alternative to praying.

Coming out of school, I went on quite the "self-help" kick. This was at the time that "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" was published. I read Covey, Zigler and many others. I listened to Tony Robbins and went through his whole "Personal Power" program. It all dovetailed nicely with my deism and I felt like I could handle anything.

My peak was in 2001. My business was growing rapidly, clearing what I considered to be great profits after paying my salary. My biggest frustration then was finding qualified people to work for me in order to meet demand. The formula for success was so simple. Make sure you provide exceptional customer service, your quality is consistent and your delivery is punctual and you were guaranteed a good living. Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end.

Things have been crumbling apart since, and really took a nose dive in the last few years. Hard work and dedication are no longer enough. Competition with Chinese outsourcing has devastated my business, literally slashing one of my departments in half and affecting all others. The destruction of the middle class has dried up demand, so that I'm fighting with China over much a smaller pie. Health insurance has skyrocketed in costs, so I can no longer afford to provide that benefit. I've had to layoff half my workforce and every day it feels like I'm scratching and clawing desperately just to get enough to keep my doors open. I feel like I've tried everything and yet each year we lose a little more ground.

Three years ago, my wife's health collapsed. Fortunately, we had health insurance so her care was only ruinously expensive as opposed to unattainable. It wiped out both of our retirement savings and plunged us deeper into debt. She effectively can't work now because of her condition and the medication she's on. It's up to me to keep us above water.

I have a condo I used to live in that I now can't sell. I call it my "personal toxic asset". I've been trying to sell it for years now, repeatedly slashing price until it was offered at little more than half of what I paid for it. Finally, I had a buyer lined up and ready to sign off on it. Unfortunately Fanny Mae and Freddy Mack have effectively made it illegal to sell a condo anymore.

Actually, the specific new Fanny and Freddy rule is if the condo is more than 10% of the total association, it automatically can't be financed, no ifs, ands or buts. Condo's offered to be sold at way under market value? Fuck you, no mortgage. Condo association is in rock solid financial shape with plenty of cash reserves? Fuck you, no mortgage. Buyer's credit score couldn't be higher? Fuck you, no mortgage. Since my toxic asset is a part of a converted old home with only 8 other units, that means I'd have to find a buyer who can fucking pay cash. Five different banks have all told me the same thing. There is no situation in which a buyer could finance a purchase of my condo at any price, with any credit score, having any amount of collateral.

I feel so stretched to the breaking point, both spiritually and financially. I'm up to my eyeballs in debt. What's worse is I don't have any sense of control anymore. It's like it doesn't matter how hard I work, how dedicated I am, how high I jump when a customer calls. Time was there was no unemployment among technicians in my field. Now there are plenty knocking on my door looking for work, so I know if I go bankrupt there's no reliable fall back. And I'm caring for a business that's been in the family for four generations. I'm feeling like such a failure and I don't even know what I'm supposed to do differently.

I'm showing all the signs of severe depression. Hypertension, aches and pains, difficulty getting out of bed in the morning, difficulty getting to sleep at night, inability to enjoy much of anything, feelings of hopelessness, I've gained nearly 50 pounds, the lot. My wife has encouraged me to make an appointment with a psychiatrist but I tell her this isn't just a state of mind. It's reality.

Thoughts of suicide? All the time. I sometimes think that the only thing that keeps me from performing wrist surgery or taking a dive off the 2nd street bridge is my concern for my wife. I'd be throwing her to the wolves, since there's not much she could do if I weren't around.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Erinome - January 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Erinome - January 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by walknh2o - January 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by fr0d0 - January 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 3:40 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Cinjin - January 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 4, 2012 at 9:29 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by LastPoet - January 4, 2012 at 10:36 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Violet - January 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Napoléon - January 11, 2012 at 7:45 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Cyberman - January 11, 2012 at 12:15 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Violet - January 11, 2012 at 2:19 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 11, 2012 at 11:00 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by frankiej - January 11, 2012 at 11:03 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Violet - January 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by frankiej - January 16, 2012 at 10:58 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by frankiej - January 16, 2012 at 11:06 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Darwinian - January 16, 2012 at 11:15 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Jackalope - January 20, 2012 at 2:16 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Jackalope - January 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Jackalope - January 20, 2012 at 11:49 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by DeistPaladin - January 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Napoléon - January 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 20, 2012 at 11:53 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by frankiej - January 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Jackalope - January 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 28, 2012 at 12:33 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Shell B - January 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Jackalope - February 6, 2012 at 2:13 am
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by Jackalope - February 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm
RE: Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support - by zentor - June 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Euthanasia for Mental Illness brewer 32 2576 September 12, 2023 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Narcolepsy/ Sleep disorder support tackattack 16 817 December 7, 2021 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Sport and mental health. purplepurpose 24 2331 August 16, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mental state of narcos who commit atrocious crimes. Macoleco 16 3083 April 24, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Social Anxiety Bahana 10 1078 October 4, 2017 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What moral justification besides bodily autonomy do you use to support the position t DogmaticDownSouth 29 6470 July 5, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religion and mental health mcolafson 18 3229 October 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Another medical snippet, anxiety disorder. brewer 0 709 September 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Interesting snippet on Tx resistent depression. brewer 73 8623 August 30, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Religion as a mental illness RedRod 50 11271 August 25, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: brewer