Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Thoughts on Alain de Botton
#3
RE: Thoughts on Alain de Botton
I remember his TED talk. I understand his point I don't entirely agree with it. I have been looking for a few replacements myself. I'll list a few ideas:

1) Shared goals: VOLUNTEER! There are lots of organizations where you can have and act out these shared goals. You can really have a nice mini community. In some organizations the children can participate.
2) Ritual: Ritual happens in places other than a church, temple, Bethel, tabernacle etc. I've noticed football fans joining in group cheers, doing the wave, dressing up and having a grand ole time.
3) Architectural awe. Go to a museum.
4) Community: can be a bit more difficult but it can be done. I'm looking into hobby groups that can be fun for the whole family. I am part of a local hiking group. The whole family joins in on that. There are other groups as well. Meet up groups work also.
5) Wonder: Contemplate the universe from a scientific perspective.

These are just a few ideas. Most of these things have to do with extroverted things. What atheism seems to lack is the inner life (perhaps it doesn't, I just haven't discovered this yet). Inner contemplation, meditation, a sense of awe, and a humble respect for things greater than you seem to be too steeped in religion. I think these things are important for the non religious as well. Listing to oneself is a way to check if your outward behavior is in line with your inner feelings and beliefs. Meditation is a great way to relax. A sense of awe is humbling. It teaches respect and puts people in a position to listen.

Anyway that's just my two cents worth.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Reply



Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on Alain de Botton - by Hypatia - March 20, 2012 at 8:00 pm
RE: Thoughts on Alain de Botton - by NoMoreFaith - March 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm
RE: Thoughts on Alain de Botton - by Ziploc Surprise - March 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else struggle with cynical/rude thoughts towards religious people? syntheticadrenaline 27 6316 October 11, 2024 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: syntheticadrenaline
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Kitan Etos 12 5899 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 30224 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 49718 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 29721 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1648 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 2336 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. Catholic_Lady 373 123134 September 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 17588 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  thoughts on morality Kingpin 16 9101 July 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Pyrrho



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)