Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 2:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Problem of Evil: A Primer for Atheists (pre-discusson)
#19
RE: The Problem of Evil: A Primer for Atheists (pre-discusson)
(August 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(August 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm)idunno Wrote: Does anyone believe the Logical PoE is a sound argument against Christianity?

I wouldn't call it an argument against xtianity per se, as the argument predates it, however...

I believe it's one of many reasonable arguments against any deity claimed to be omniscient, omnipotent, and benevolent (omni- or otherwise). However, of a deity who didn't possess those traits, Epicurus would probably say "Why call him god?"

As to whether it is sound, I cannot say. What precisely is a g/God?

The question of a deity's existence or validity of worship of said deity is wholly uninteresting to me without establishing the claimed nature and properties of such a being. If there is a god or gods, I am unaware of them, and frankly, am about as interested in them as they appear to be in me - which is to say, not at all.

I think here's where I roll out the cheesy line, "He's interested in you" Big Grin

Sure, it wasn't initially directed towards Christianity but it is being used today by some. I don't think it is a sound argument if the claim is that the existence of God and evil are mutually exclusive. You could turn it into a probabilistic argument as Vinny has suggested, but nobody can stand him apparently.

Vinny, if you aren't a poe and truly want to encourage more rigorous thinking (and I'd humbly suggest irenic approach to the debate) among your fellow atheists you may have to lose that accent and change your approach.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: The Problem of Evil: A Primer for Atheists (pre-discusson) - by idunno - August 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yhwach character in TWBY seems to represent evil Jesus PepsiMAX 74 4539 August 23, 2026 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Are Atheists Afraid to Join Atheists? Asmodeus 10 4301 October 26, 2024 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Asmodeus
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood Pat Mustard 13 4869 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 7178 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is religion a necessary evil? purplepurpose 35 11242 November 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 44234 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 3689 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Problem with atheists are the marxist degenerates Spai03 39 10935 February 22, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A problem with the word "atheist" Alexmahone 144 46998 February 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Video God Just Changed His Mind (from Evil to Good) Mental Outlaw 51 24228 April 16, 2015 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Tonus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)