Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do christians think god communicates with warm fuzzy feelings instead of direct verbal speach?
RE: Why do christians think god communicates with warm fuzzy feelings instead of direct verbal speach?
(November 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Can you imagine a situation in which that might be troubling?
Yes, it would be troubling if God was not present.

Quote:All well and good (sort of, I suppose.....). You don't feel that compassion and being open to love is in your nature? You are the same person who did inner city missions and stuck with a drug addled wife..are you not?
I grew up being picked on severly by the black people at my schools. I wasn't white enough for the other whites to watch out for me, nor was I 'yellow' enough to hang out with the asian kids. But I was white enough to be blamed and beaten for every white on black problem the school had. As a result wanted Absolutly nothing to do with Any black people for any reason. Then after i went to this church for a while I met my new best friend (and best man at my wedding) and then was dragged into this ministry where my whole outlook changed (over the course of 10 years) Then I picked up a new hatred (junkies) then God made me face that. (I did not meet my wife till after the inner city thing)

Quote: You're telling me a narrative about your life that doesn't really match up with your self assessment. It might surprise you to know that this is a common occurence. Many of us imagine ourselves to be less of (or more of) "whatever". I would wonder why you feel that you require a ghostly force capable of compelling you - against your will- to accomplish these two things that, to me and many others...come as easily as breathing (I'd also add, that I don't actually think you needed anything beyond yourself at all..chances are compassion and love are well within the range of things you call your nature - no ghosts required).
This maybe true, but before i Gave myself to god i can honestly say i hated black people and wanted nothing to do with them. And then I can honestly say I hated theiving junkies (From all that I saw go down in the innercity outreach, crack children, death, destruction and stuff I do not like talking about anymore) and all of the self centered crap they do and the lives they wreck. It wasn't till after the last 6 years did I learn to stop hating people (So God would stop making me face my own bigoted heart.)

As a former bigot I know people do not change simply because they feel they need to. their needs to be a catylist. the deeper/stronger the feeling of hate, the stronger the catylist needs to be. For me it was God. (Not through the fear of Hell, but through the need to be in that love i felt for an instant.)

Quote:If something is beyond your comprehension..you could not comprehend it, by definition Drich. Here again you seem to have made a mistake with what regards to what you consider yourself capable of.
Let look at my understanding of Hell and what I mean beyond my comperhension. I understood Hell to be what I saw paintings of in our family bible. (Which were taken from some of the senes of Dante's Infrno. a Literal lake of Fire where demons and the devil rule. Their purpose was to torment the condemned. I had no knoweledge of what gnashing of teeth was and often thought what is so bad about that, nor did i have any understanding of how the Jewish account of Sheol and Hell were different nor would I even be able to phathom how to reconsile the two.

One little "dream" later, and i have an understanding that I am just now after 15/20 years of off and on study can biblically support. My comperhension of Hell went from the typical sunday school interpertation to being able to tie all of the various biblical accounts to what I experienced. That what I mean by comperhend. I had no understanding one day, and the next could teach on the subject in a biblically supported (again un-beknown to me at the time) way that i have never heard before.

Quote:A question? So in this case you had some say in the matter, whereas in (at least one of )the previous two cases you did not?
Say in what matter?

Quote:This response has nothing to do with what I asked you, nothing at all. You mentioned that it was a radio program, right? Is it surprising that a church opened a branch within it's radio broadcast range? I mean, I don't actually care whether or not you think god is currently in your church, that's your business. I'm just trying to help you see why the notion that "god made them" open a church is less than compelling...and I half-expected you to appreciate that I was doing so from within the structure of your own beliefs. Other churches, of other faiths (which have nothing to do with god)..open all the time, all over the world. God isn't required in those cases, he doesn't "make them" do it. I don't think you're going to find gods name on any of the funds that went into establishing this new church, you won't find god as the purchasing agent, you won't find god listed on the deed, lease, title......the business of opening a church is an earthly one. There's nothing compellingly divine about putting a cross on a building (and even you don't see it as such - except, here, in your -special case-..apparently). This is laying aside that it's plainly obvious that you somehow feel that this was done for your benefit. A veritable personal miracle and direct experience with the almighty-by way of a real estate transaction....... An even stranger notion.
The point of my statement was that is was an answer to a petition I placed before God. More so to the point the Church leaders said the were 'lead to open a church in Orlando.' Was it open just for me? No, there are 1100 other people who benefit from this church as well.

Quote:Both what? Should I rephrase? What is the name of the ghost (what name do you write the check out to) and where does it cash those checks (what bank?) You would have very easy access to both of these pieces of information..unless you're actually being disingenuos with me...which I'm starting to suspect that you are.
It varies from the church, to various charitiable organaztions to indivisuals, or back into the business we are tasked to maintain.

Quote:No money is changing hands between you and a ghost, is it?
Physically? no. The 'Ghost' is involved in various outreaches and we fund those ministries, and support the business as funds are avaiable. If a need is great enough and even if we do not have the money to give we will (on blind faith) write a check that gets the 'ghost' covers. One way or another.

Quote:Similarly, you declined to answer any of my questions in an earlier post about the particulars of your "conversations" with this ghost. I'm starting to think that you don't have conversations with a ghost at all, that you have fuzzy feelings.
Actually i posted a link (or at least mentioned) my last direct conversation in the thread Messenger/Message. (which you participated in) I also mentioned radio broadcasts that are direct answers to spiritual questions I had, and also said that 90% of all direction comes from being plugged into a Christ centered Church.

Quote: This would be disappointing. You see, in the same way that you seem to have misjudged yourself, you've misjudged me. My hostility to ideas like this has everything to do with a wide eyed curiosity, and how dependably this curiosity is shit upon by people who claim to have seen a ghost, spoken to a ghost - and then turn out to have been bullshitting me...from the word go - and I can't even imagine a situation or circumstance that lets me give them the benefit of the doubt. They knew what they were doing, going in. I think you did to, in this conversation.
.. and i think you dismissed my answers and wound up tipping your hand too early. In that my answers weren't allowing you to come to the conclusion you are trying to force on me now. So you had to ignore or 'forget' what was said in hope to unseat me from what you think is BS. If you want to reset and try again your more than welcome to try, but know you will find consistancy here as what I am telling you is the truth.

Another side question. If you are trying to seperate true accounts/happenings from make believe, what are you trying to hang me on a technicality? you claim you wanted an example of my speaking to the holy Spirit, and I gave you several, but then you try and reassign my experience as anything but or in one case ignored it completely? all just to feign 'honest curisoity." It seems the only thing your courious about is to how dispell accounts as to how God is working in peoples lives.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do christians think god communicates with warm fuzzy feelings instead of direct verbal speach? - by Drich - November 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14405 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4770 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty? Greatest I am 159 10144 September 10, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1744 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What do the conservative Christians here think of Professor Bart Ehrman? Jehanne 69 6227 March 8, 2019 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8124 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17846 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 11007 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4892 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4160 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician