Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's say that science proves that God exists
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists
(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: It is true that certain conditions had to obtain for life as we know it. According to Sir Martin Rees at least 6 characteristcis in a mindboggling narrow degree have to obtain for their to be life. Some of those characteristics are necessary just for planets and stars to form.

For your position to hold any water you have to prove two things:
1. Those constants could've been something other that what they are, i.e. they are tunable.
2. Any other type of life-form cannot possibly exist if those conditions are not met.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Thats right so there's no reason to consider that. I was told when I first came to this discussion board that atheists only consider established facts.

And since it's a fact that we don't have any knowledge of possibility of life in other places of this universe or another, there is no basis to assume that there is anything special regarding the so called conditions of life.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: I'm glad you do arbritrarily feel that way. But your feelings don't have any basis in fact if humans are just the unintended by product of the laws of physics....your feelings not withstanding.

What's so arbitrary about it? These feeling do have a basis in fact - the very fact of human nature.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: That's an argument from ignorance (or a naturalism in the gaps argument). My opinion about theism is based on what we do know, not on what might be. And I have been told atheists base thier opinion on established facts only also.

ROFLOL

That's hilarious. Do you come up with this crap on your own or is someone feeding it to you?

Here are some facts for you. Life, as we know it, is impossible to sustain in all but a tiny portion of the universe. Of that tiny portion, it is known to exist in an even tinier portion. Assuming Earth to consist of everything from its core to upper atmosphere, we know that life is possible only in a thin shell around its surface and even there in specific areas. Given the astronomically low occurrence of life in universe, the reasonable conclusion is that its existence was not the product of purposeful design.

In face of this evidence, you continue to insist that even this extremely miniscule success could not have been achieved without intent. So, this time, the burden of proof is on you. You bear the responsibility to show that this extremely low occurrence of life was still the intent and purpose behind the universe. I've even given you a way to prove it.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Let's quit the semantics...you don't believe mind was involved in the creation or cause of the universe do you?

Let's not play underhanded word-games either. I don't believe that any mind was involved in formation of life. As for the universe, I don't believe it to be created or caused - so the question of mind is moot.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: According to atheists its a fluke of nature that humans exist at all and humans are doomed to perish collectively or individually at any time. We can agree and pretend humans have special rights, but we can't infer such from the philosophy of naturalism.

Complete and utter nonsense. First of all, I don't know of any atheists who see human existence as a fluke of nature any more than they see the earth revolving around the sun as a fluke of nature. Both are necessary and inevitable consequences of mechanistic processes at work (that's my belief, other atheists may believe differently). Secondly, I also don't believe that humans are doomed to perish. Thirdly, it is incorrect to assume that all atheists automatically follow the philosophy of naturalism or that their entire worldview is inferred solely from it. Finally, even if we can't infer special rights from the philosophy of naturalism that does not mean they can't be inferred from other aspects of an atheist's worldview (not, as you are wont to assume, as atheistic worldview).

And lastly, did you really think I would not notice that you fail to address the actual argument that you are apparently replying to? I can only assume from this lame attempt at diversion that you have no counter-argument to the fact that theistic societies lead to segregated class based rights and privileges.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: No I don't.

I don't see how I can make your failure to apply logic any more transparent? I gave you the name of your logical fallacy, an example and detailed description of how you apply it.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Explain to me where inalienable rights can be derived from beings that had no right to existence to begin with.

From the fact of their existence itself.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Do you think humans have a right to live? By what reckoning do humans have to live when they were created by accident in the first place.

From the reckoning of their existence as conscious, self-aware and self-directing beings.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Does the universe have the right to exist?

No. The concept of rights can only apply to conscious entities.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Where would the notion you have the right to live come from?

Answered already.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: It might be conferred upon you by other humans because they arbitrarily want you to live but they might just as well want you to die.

Exactly my point. Any right conferred by any other being would hold no value - even of that being is your god.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: If we were intended to exist and the universe was created for our inhabitance, we have a philosophical reason to infer a right to live.

That's precisely what you have failed to provide. What is that "philosophical reason to infer right to live"? You haven't drawn the connection between the two, you simply keep repeating it.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Certainly more of a reason then if we are just the accidental by product of mindless forces.

In absence of any given reason - no, you don't.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: We can also infer the belief that all people are created equal since we all derived from the same source.

Nonsense. We happen to know for a fact that everyone is not "created" equal, given the existence of disparity in their physical, mental and social stature.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: It is the basis on which rights are inferred in the declaration of independence.

Declaration of whose independence?

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: You undermine your own argument, you cite the fact you were intentionally brought into the world by sentient beings as a reason to philosophize you have a right to live. I'm employing the same reasoning to all humans. If instead of being the by product of parents that intended your existence you were just the unintended by product of mindless forces you wouldn't have any rights.

Are you truly this dense or are you intentionally acting this way? This is your argument. You are the one arguing (without providing the necessary justification) that some other being's intention for me to live is sufficient to provide right to life. I'm simply pointing out how your argument fails, since if that was sufficient, then my parents' intentions for me would confer special rights upon me.

As for me, I do not recognize the idea that any other being's intentions or purposes have any bearing on my rights.

(February 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: Good point some (such as Peta) argue they do.

Peta is irrelevant. Do you follow the logical consequences of your own premises to acknowledge special or greater rights of all beetles or not? If not, why not?

Messages In This Thread
Let's say that science proves that God exists - by FKHansen - February 8, 2013 at 8:53 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 17, 2013 at 12:00 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 2:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Re: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 9, 2013 at 4:46 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 9, 2013 at 4:53 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 9, 2013 at 7:26 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Phish - February 9, 2013 at 8:01 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Cinjin - February 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 20, 2013 at 12:01 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 20, 2013 at 11:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 23, 2013 at 11:44 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 23, 2013 at 11:51 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 23, 2013 at 11:49 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 24, 2013 at 12:16 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 24, 2013 at 10:17 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1586 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 7285 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6938 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1571 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2505 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 15346 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11872 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30698 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 16110 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 48821 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician