Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 6:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's say that science proves that God exists
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists
(February 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote:
Quote:For what it's worth, Victor Stenger has run simulations in which the parameters of the universe varied by up to two orders of magnitude, and half of those universes yielded long period universes with heavy elements capable for the support of life as we know it.
Yes and he also manipulated other constants to counter balance the effect.
Oh, so in other words you admit that this isn't the only set of constants which could produce the result. Your fine-tuning argument is getting better all the time.

Quote:So you're wrong on the philosophical arguments, you're also wrong on the facts.
No you're wrong...completely. Happy?
With you basically caving on your main point... not yet, but I'm getting there.

Quote:The only thing that atheism implies is no belief in a god. Period. Any other crap that you add onto that, such as metaphysical naturalism, is your own bullshit misunderstanding and has nothing to do with atheism.
Thats your line of bullshit. If you don't believe the universe was designed and engineered then you believe it came about by happenstance. The crap atheism is just no belief in god is just a debating tactic.
That is a strawman, as well as a misapplication of the law of the excluded middle (there are more than two options).

So, the uncommitted should decide whether you are right, but you get to decide the truth of what atheists believe. Hypocritical much. I think somebody needs a nap.

Quote:"What is a right?" which you basically did not answer
No I answered you were just unsatisfied with the answer...so sue me.
I was unsatisfied with your answer because.... *drumroll-please* it was unsatisfactory.

Quote:Moreover, additional problems present themselves. The traditional god of the Abrahamanic faiths made humans knowing full well that they would suffer and die (which is by all accounts an unpleasant thing, for both the dying and those left behind).
Sorry I am a theist not affilated with any church or organized religion so please take your whining elsewhere.
Now I definitely think somebody needs a nap. You miss the overarching point in order to scurry under your typical "I'm not affiliated with any known church" debating tactic. For any set of conditions that exist in our universe, there are a million and one events that would likely not have occurred if things had been different. To pick any single one of them and say, ah ha, this is the reason for this unlikely scenario and ignore all the others is simply a non sequitur. There are multiple heavy elements that do not occur naturally and required human artifice to create. Who is to say that the creation of one of those elements wasn't the intention behind the creator's act, and humans were simply one path to that goal? I'm certain a god could think up a zillion and one ways towards any specific goal. That you think that you are that goal, and that he only had this one way, is rather underselling god. All the fine-tuning argument says is that if things had been different, then things would have been different. The existence of life in this particular universe is no more special than any equally improbable scenario in a universe where life did not occur. All you're showing by making a lot of noise about how improbable the existence of life is, is that you think you're special. You're not. At the end of the day, you're just a soup of chemicals, as unlikely as any of a billion other improbable things.

Oh, and for what it's worth, as a theist who isn't committed to any specific creation scenario, by your own criteria, I'm well placed to assess the merit of your arguments. I love it when a plan comes together!

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Let's say that science proves that God exists - by FKHansen - February 8, 2013 at 8:53 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 17, 2013 at 12:00 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 2:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Re: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 9, 2013 at 4:46 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 9, 2013 at 4:53 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 9, 2013 at 7:26 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Phish - February 9, 2013 at 8:01 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Cinjin - February 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 20, 2013 at 12:01 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 20, 2013 at 11:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 22, 2013 at 8:01 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 23, 2013 at 11:44 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 23, 2013 at 11:51 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 23, 2013 at 11:49 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 24, 2013 at 12:16 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 24, 2013 at 10:17 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1586 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 7285 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6938 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1571 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2505 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 15346 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11872 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30698 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 16110 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 48821 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician