Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's say that science proves that God exists
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists
(February 23, 2013 at 10:35 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: I'm not responding to hypotheticals the real world is perplexing enough. Besides I was told the first day I posted on this site that atheists are only persuaded by facts, not speculative theories.

If you're not responding to hypotheticals then isn't the conversation sort of over? I mean, you claim that the universe is set up in a narrow band of life supporting circumstances, but now you're saying you're not accepting any suggestion that things might be different because things aren't different. But that's a huge presupposition on it's own, because you can't say with any certainty that there is a narrow band to begin with. Like it or not, this conversation exists in hypotheticals; if you're just not accepting them then all you're really doing is shaking your head at the entire opposing viewpoint for no reason other than your own assumptions that things couldn't possibly be any different.

Quote:Good point. To fully consider a claim you have to look at the ramifications of either hypothesis. The most basic meaning of atheism is Not or without God. Not what without God? Not what theists chalk up to the existence of God such as the universe, life and ultimately human life. Atheists say these things came into existence without or not from God.

No, sorry. You're wrong. Let me see if I can put this another way: I'm not saying there's no god. I'm saying I don't believe in your god, because you haven't proved it. You're an atheist too, you know; when it comes to Zeus and Athena and all those other defunct gods you hold exactly the same position that I do. Does it then follow that you're saying those gods could never have existed? Do you have a burden of proof to show us that they are nonexistent?

The question of whether or not there's a designer isn't core to the atheist belief system; belief following from evidence is. There could be a designer: I just said that. It's out there. I just don't know whether there is or isn't. The question now becomes; how do we prove that, really? And how do we prove that such a designer is your god?

Quote: You call yourself an atheist, you doubt or lack belief God caused the universe or you flat out believe such a claim is false.

I think the problem is that you're conflating lack of belief in religious deities with a certain set of beliefs about the beginning of the universe. I believe that your god didn't create the universe solely because you haven't demonstrated that he has, yet I'm open to the possibility that he might have. My position follows the facts; it's not "there is no designer," it's "I don't know whether or not there is a designer, nor the extent to which such a being conforms to the persona detailed in earthly religious texts."

Quote: Can you call yourself and atheist yet believe the universe was designed and engineered to support life?

Raelians do it pretty well, without believing in a god. The lack of a designer is not a central tenet of atheism. You're making a crucial assumption, and that is that the designer must be your god.

Quote: Theism is a belief regarding the most basic philosophical questions that can be asked such as why is there something rather than nothing? Why is there a universe, stars and planets and how did life and humans come about? If atheists said I haven't a clue how the universe got here or how humans came into existence but I say it wasn't God would you find that a compelling reason to believe God doesn't exist?

No, I wouldn't find it compelling but then again I don't know of any atheist that's making that claim. Why not just stop at the "I haven't a clue" part and then add "but let's keep looking."

Quote:Whether you're willing to defend it or even admit it you are advocating a position. You are claiming that whatever caused our existence or the universe to exist, it wasn't God. Nature did it. Nature didn't plan it to happen, didn't want it to happen, didn't care if it happened but without trying to did it somehow. Mindless forces somehow miraculously stumbled upon the formula to cause a universe and create life minus any knowlegde on how to do such a thing. And it wasn't a case of like creating like, according to atheist orthodoxy mindless lifeless forces created something totally unlike it self, life and mind. No wonder atheists cry foul when someone points out they have a position to defend also.

Nope. Tongue

Look above, I already admitted that there might be a designer. That doesn't threaten my atheism, either. But my admitting that possibility doesn't mean I believe it unreservedly, nor does it mean that you've escaped the burden of proof regarding not only the existence of such a designer, but the identity of it too. What if that designer was Cthulhu?

Quote:Since we can only definately say one universe exists not only does it need to happen only once, it needs to happen the one time we know it occurred. But is this your basis for believing God doesn't exist? Because its possible God doesn't exist therefore I don't believe God doesn't exist.

What I'm saying is, this question of random chance and low probabilities is moot, because if we are all here by chance, our existences aren't in question. No matter how low the chance might have been, if there was a random element at all, it definitely happened.

Quote:Because thats how we deterimine if something is by chance or by design. Suppose we didn't know the pyramids were intentionally created by design, wouldn't the design features of the pyramids themselves strongly suggest they were intentionally created?

No. We recognize design by contrasting it with other examples of design. We know the pyramids are designed because we can look at other monuments or buildings. We can find evidence that they were designed.

This argument falls apart when you consider all the magnificently low probability things that exist in nature; think of the Tessellating Pavement in my home state of Tasmania. It's a perfectly geometric patch of ground, and yet it wasn't designed, it just looks like it. It is, in fact, perfectly natural. Hell, just look at all the celestial bodies out there that look like other things to us when we see them through a telescope; all those are random too, while looking designed.

Quote:Then how can it be raised as an objection?

Because you're claiming to know with certainty, without any evidence for that.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
Let's say that science proves that God exists - by FKHansen - February 8, 2013 at 8:53 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 17, 2013 at 12:00 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 2:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Re: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 9, 2013 at 4:46 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 9, 2013 at 4:53 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Zone - February 9, 2013 at 7:26 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Phish - February 9, 2013 at 8:01 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Cinjin - February 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 20, 2013 at 12:01 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 20, 2013 at 11:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by fr0d0 - February 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 23, 2013 at 11:44 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 23, 2013 at 11:51 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Angrboda - February 23, 2013 at 11:49 pm
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 24, 2013 at 12:16 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by genkaus - February 24, 2013 at 10:17 am
RE: Let's say that science proves that God exists - by Esquilax - February 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1586 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 7285 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6938 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1571 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2505 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 15346 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11872 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30698 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 16110 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 48821 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician