Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would convince you that a god exists?
RE: What would convince you that a god exists?
At first the obvious answer is...to see IT. But, after thinking about it. I probably wouldn't recognize it if I did see it.

For me to see it, which is what it would take to believe it, I would be in the presence of an entity that is an abstract obeject, wrapped in contradiction. The very idea of this "God" presenting itself would collapse all understanding that I would have in this state of existance I currently occupy. So, for a God to exist, that would meet the description common to such God(s), I too would have to be redifned as an abstract object, wrapped contradiciton. So, trying to imagine what it would take to be an abstract object, wrapped in logical contradiction in the presence of an abstract object, wrapped in logical contradiction makes me think that neither of us would even recognize each other anyway. And even if such a thing were possible for even a second, it would end as soon as it started, and time for recognition probably wouldn't be available. An omnipotent God of unlimited power existing, would mean the immediate obliteration of all existance at the point of this God's inception. If you make power infinite on one side of the equation, matter becomes infinite too, and then all of the sudden, as if the universe were in a massive micro-wave oven containing an atom blast...it's all gone. So, I guess it wouldn't even matter whether or not I accepted that the abstract object existing in proximity to my own abstract presence was in fact God...we'd both be instantly obliterated anyway. Bummer.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would convince you that a god exists? - by The Reality Salesman - May 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 13774 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 59 5217 June 12, 2024 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6889 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 15113 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3520 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11858 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6716 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30644 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 16052 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 48609 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician