Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2026, 11:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My first atheist forum experience!
#1
My first atheist forum experience!
Hi, y'all. New here.

I'm celebrating something like my 12th year as an atheist (I can't exactly remember how old I was when I officially began identifying as an atheist but I was 16-ish) and I'm currently embroiled in round four of a theological debate with an online mormon friend - I haven't ascertained yet if she's just curious about my atheism or if she's sneakily trying to convert me. If she is trying to convert me she's doing a really bad job of it so far, I'm talking on the scale of epic-faildom.

If you're interested in my "deconversion" story I just posted it in Convert's Corner; I had reason to type it up for this mormon friend, why not share it more widely than with just her? I'm not really a convert "from" anything since I was, at most, a deist, but it's kind of a funny story. (It explains my signature equation.)

Also, I have a tendancy to be verbose, one of those people that if I can say it in twenty words rather than five, I probably will. I apologize in advance. Big Grin In that theological debate, I've been responsible for doubling the length of the email three times - but that's partly because I'm having to explain things like the Problem of Evil and syllogistic reasoning and how the flood and Adam and Eve aren't literal stories... I'm thinking my next email will consist of the following single line:

"Provide irrefutable, empirical positive evidence of God's existence or we've got nothing left to talk about."

^ and end at that.

If you've got any books on the torrid history of the Mormon church or any resources or anything you would like to share (that I can either quote or share with my mormon friend) that would be awesome! Otherwise, I'm looking forward to learning from you all.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
My first atheist forum experience! - by Clueless Morgan - June 6, 2013 at 11:19 am
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Savannahw - June 6, 2013 at 11:21 am
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Kayenneh - June 6, 2013 at 11:26 am
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by pocaracas - June 6, 2013 at 11:26 am
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Minimalist - June 6, 2013 at 11:41 am
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Tonus - June 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by festive1 - June 6, 2013 at 11:54 am
Re: RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by fr0d0 - June 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Kayenneh - June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by fr0d0 - June 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Simon Moon - June 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Rahul - June 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by fr0d0 - June 6, 2013 at 5:21 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Minimalist - June 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Minimalist - June 6, 2013 at 2:59 pm
RE: My first atheist forum experience! - by Aractus - June 9, 2013 at 4:30 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Words c152 33 7331 October 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: c152
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 3374 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Old atheist, new to forum Bunburryist 25 6090 August 10, 2016 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  First Post athrock 19 5358 November 26, 2015 at 9:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  an atheist from atheist's hell , Iran mhn6868 13 3646 August 14, 2015 at 2:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My first post XAccess 25 6859 April 6, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
Wink My First Argument and Logical Fallacy JesusHMuhammad 6 2953 July 15, 2014 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  My first post wynnwalker 7 2841 December 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  First things first Bad Writer 61 21551 June 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  First time here Lilyl 25 7242 April 5, 2013 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Violet



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)