Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 12:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
RE: False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
(June 6, 2013 at 5:36 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(June 6, 2013 at 6:48 am)pocaracas Wrote:

Hey bud,

I still do not think that makes you an atheist since philosopher s define atheism as a position of certainty and you have admitted to allowing for wiggle room. I think philosophers would define your position more of agnosticism, practical atheism, or non-theism. I personally have no issues with calling you whatever you wish to be called, but if we were debating the existence of God I’d have to pin you down on your position and call it what it really is. Would you not agree that it is important to define our terms correctly? You’re a fair minded guy, I am sure you agree with at least that. What irks me is atheists starting these threads pretending as if theists’ are always ignorant on such matters when obviously on this matter the theists are being more true to the traditionally accepted definition of the position.

Well, I go by the dictionary, not what some philosopher or group of philosophers think a given word means.
And the dictionary I tend to use these past few years is dictionary.com
It gives us two possible meanings for the word atheist. I fit in one of them, so I call myself atheist.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Atheist Wrote:noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Origin:
1565–75; < Greek áthe ( os ) godless + -ist
Note the "OR" in there.

Attached to this atheist label, I may have other labels, like agnostic, or practical, like you mentioned.... Those help narrow down my stance on the subject. Some will go with weak atheist, others constructed a scale from 1 to 7, where 1 is strong theist or gnostic theist and 7 is strong atheist or gnostic atheist, but there are some shades in between where most people fit.
You don't see many gnostic/strong atheists out there...
Sadly, you do see a lot of gnostic/strong theists... some even get violent Undecided

Also, bonus material!
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Atheist Wrote:1570s, from French athéiste (16c.), from Greek atheos "without god, denying the gods; abandoned of the gods; godless, ungodly," from a- "without" + theos "a god" (see Thea).

Messages In This Thread
RE: False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism - by pocaracas - June 6, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When believing false things is comforting Foxaèr 45 5612 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2108 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12831 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6780 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 6155 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 16312 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Meaning of Sin, False Christians, Atheists, and Misinterpretations TheChrist 64 14486 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Gandhi rejected Christianity as a false religion Foxaèr 13 4345 January 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Proof christianity is false Lemonvariable72 24 10147 December 5, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  the logical fallacies of religion and false arguments Nightfoot92 5 4163 September 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Walking Void