Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 2:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is belief in a higher power required?
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required?
(June 21, 2013 at 5:16 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: According to whom? Why?
Every single argument you make which assumes God exists is meaningless if he doesn't. You can't make a valid point until you establish that God exists.

Quote:No, Reductio ad absurdum. If you applied your same skepticism you show towards God’s existence and His word to your own self you’d render all proof impossible. In fact, if your atheism were true, it’d be impossible to know anything at all, so the very fact that we can obtain knowledge is proof God exists.

Nope. It's an appeal to solipsism and nothing else. You're telling me that if I refuse to believe that images my mind generates are anything but mental glitches, I can't believe anything my senses tell me. If that really is true, then I may not even be sitting here typing this post.

The flaw in your argument is that, with special physiological exceptions (and discounting solipsism), we all experience sensory input in mostly the same way. You would not be able to understand what I am trying to tell you if it didn't work that way. We both identify the same wavelengths of light as the same colors, same sounds. If we could not trust them at all, we could never convey useful information or do anything else. Our senses are subject to all manner of glitches and strange phenomena, some we understand and some we don't, but the basis for these glitches is neurochemical every time we trace it to its sources. This is why the only sensory input which is reliable is that which all humans can experience without obviously biased preconditions such as "open your mind to god".

You derive your 'truth' about God from a source nobody in their right mind should ever trust as anything more than a literary artifact from a simpler time, when people made up wild and crazy explanations for phenomena they did not understand. It's just one of thousands of very similar creation myths. The only thing special about yours is that it persists better than some others. Any evidence you claim suggests your God is no different or more credible than the evidence any other religion offers to support its deities or spirits. If your evidence is valid only for you and cannot be shared or empirically studied, there is no reason not to treat you as if you are lying, confused, or insane.

Quote:We all actually receive better than we deserve because we live in a Universe created by a gracious God.

Why would God create something and then hold it in such low regard as to suggest that the only thing stopping him from abusing it is that he feels too gracious to do so? It reflects poorly on his own craftsmanship.

(June 21, 2013 at 1:21 am)cato123 Wrote: Waldorff,
Is the Bible the infallible word of God?
Yes or no.

(June 21, 2013 at 5:16 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: The originals, yes.

Where are these originals, and how are you certain they actually are original and legitimate?

(June 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Godschild Wrote: Those children died to punish the parents, God is justly returning a horror, those children do have eternal life with God, who said God allowed the innocent children and infants to suffer, not scripture.

The children died, therefore the children were punished for the crimes of their parents. Which, for most of them, was the crime of living in Egypt at the wrong time. What monsters.

Quote:It's just in the sight of the omniscient God who knows the hearts of all people, so yes it's reasonable. They were all guilty of sin, and like I said God knows their hearts and all of them were worshiping a false God, you know the ones made of wood, stone or metal. You can believe this, they were, if you would read and study scripture you would see it right there in plain English.

God can know everything about everyone and still be evil. That you can read how he is depicted in the Bible and still believe that everything he does is right and just says a lot about the power of religion to program simple minds. Actions speak louder than even God's word.

Messages In This Thread
Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Foxaèr - June 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Cato - June 23, 2013 at 2:29 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Ryantology - June 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Cato - June 21, 2013 at 1:21 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Zarith - June 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by wwjs - June 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by fr0d0 - June 21, 2013 at 10:05 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by cneron - June 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by justin - June 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3627 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 7166 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1953 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1906 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4339 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 28240 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7889 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Regarding the power of religion over emotions Macoleco 19 4225 April 1, 2018 at 4:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6913 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 1063 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok