Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is belief in a higher power required?
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required?
(June 26, 2013 at 1:37 am)Godschild Wrote:
(June 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm)FallentoReason Wrote:
(June 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm)Godschild Wrote: You know nothing about scriptures

FtR Wrote:You'd be right in saying that about this particular subject. During my time as a Christian, not once did I hear these verses being talked about at church. I knew nothing of God's sickening acts against humanity.

It's to bad they did not teach you about God's justice, then you would see that what happens when people disobey God, I know it sounds severe but, the omniscient God knows best.

Why is death the penalty for disobedience? Would you prefer that governments brought back the death sentence if you're so accepting of the concept?

Quote:So please show me the word rape in those scripture verses, I seemed to have missed it, or maybe it's hidden in the Hebrew or Greek, which I'm sure you can point out, right.

"Thus says the Lord...He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight."

You're making this harder than what it is.

Quote:So how do you know that God did not allow these wives an eye for David's neighbor, and the neighbor for the wives, this would be a worse punishment, David's pride would be torn apart.

I'm not quite following here. What do you mean allow these wives an eye?

Quote:Before I get into these verses I have a question for you specifically, why do you not object to other nations during that time of destroying cities and people in the same or even worse manner, you would call them great battles but never an atrocity. Never once have you mentioned such atrocities by other nations, why pick only on the Israelites? You call me biased.

I never said other battles weren't atrocities. You're putting words in my mouth.

I'm focusing on this tribe because it's the one that your particular religion defends. If your religion had sprung out of the Nazis, then we'd be discussing Hitler's actions... simple as that.

Quote:Yes they attacked as God directed, but what makes you believe these people were innocent, do you have some historical records that call the Midianites the most innocent people, if so please share it with us? How about the five kings and Balaam son of Beor, do you have history on them no one is privy too?

Because a handful of men were naughty, you think it's ok to massacre the rest of the men and their children in that city/town who had nothing to do with it?

Quote:Here's what happened go to numbers 25:16-18 and you will see that God said to Moses to destroy the Midianites, because through Balaam they lead Israel into Baal worship. So these innocent people you speak so highly of actually are guilty of trying to destroy Israel through the worship of the false god Baal of Peor. The five kings were leaders of Midianite tribes that wandered these lands near Caanan to find grass for their flocks of sheep and goats. The Israelites were to have killed all the people even the women and children, however the Israelite men disobeyed and Moses rebuked them. Moses allowed only the virgin women to survive.

Oh, so a disagreement of god worship justifies killing innocent children?

Quote:Just where does it say that in the scripture verses you've given, I read them several times just to make sure I did not miss that quote you made, are you parroting again. You have not given any Biblical proof God is evil or even commanded evil, you have given only your thoughts and they do not match the verses you have given.

Enough's enough GC... I've explicitly shown you where God directly commands these evils. Stop avoiding the cold, hard facts.

GC Wrote:You need to prove to us that God commanded murder and rape and it would be refreshing to see a nonbeliever think for himself instead of parroting others.

FtR Wrote:Enough of your games! Explain right now how the killing, slavery and sleeping with people's wives is in any way justified. These atrocities are *in* your book, that's fact. But you know why you won't explain yourself? Because you have a two-fold problem:

Quote:When God calls for something to happen to people whither He directly does it or works through man to cause it, there is a judgement God issues against said person/s and the pronounced punishment. God does nothing arbitrarily, God is not a despotic tyrant.

Why do innocent children get dragged into these punishments?

Quote:You mean you're beginning to see the light or did I misunderstand what you meant by "a good reason."

Philosophically speaking, a morally perfect being would naturally have a good reason for allowing/commanding immoral acts. I'm still waiting to hear these reasons that presumably let you sleep at night knowing the OT is perfectly moral and just.

Quote:The reason the Bible has bloodshed, slavery and sexually immoral act in it is because it's about God dealing with a sinful world.

So... he commands men to do sinful acts against a sinful world i.e. fights sin with sin?!

Quote: Tell me why is the world full of bloodshed, slavery that surpasses anytime in the past and sexually immoral acts, can you tell me why?

Because humanity is like any other creature in the animal kingdom; ruthless.

Quote:Oh we are reading the word of God and God did command punishment upon people after His judgement upon them, how many times must I say that, I mean really can't you understand.

Sure, he's punishing people. Remind me what innocent children and married women did wrong again to receive death/sex with another man?

Quote: God does no evil and if you see that He does then that's on you. I can take most of scripture literally (some is parables and prophecy) and see the loving God of creation, why you can't is not a mystery to me I understand, it's within scripture.

I don't deny that there's acts of love here and there, but you try and make it seem like he's 100% good. I'm sorry, but in *no possible world* is killing children and passing off wives as objects a loving thing to do. How that's not evil is truly beyond me since it's a basic instinct that tells me it's most likely wrong.

Quote:Here you go again demanding I do something, you want to guide me into admitting your right and I'm wrong. Well, guess what I'm not a pig with a ring in my nose to be guided around by you or any other human. My guidance comes from the loving hand of God. You and Esquilax refuse to read scripture and try with an open mind to understand it, I know it is hard, even difficult at times and sometimes it takes years of study to find answers to questions, they are there though. God's proven Himself to me numerous times, so when I find a subject difficult to understand I trust in Him, in time He will answer, in His perfect timing, but like I said until then He's got my respect and I'll trust Him.

I have God and Heaven's Army on my side, so your threats are meaningless, God reigns on high, praise Him forever.

I can't speak for everyone here, but being a Free Thinker I make it my #1 priority to freely think; I'm willing to consider what you have to say, but so far you *haven't* given me a single reason why it's fine to kill innocent people and treat women in a degrading manner. I'm all ears... so how about you *actually* begin with your apologetics already...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Messages In This Thread
Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Foxaèr - June 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Cato - June 23, 2013 at 2:29 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Cato - June 21, 2013 at 1:21 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Zarith - June 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by wwjs - June 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by fr0d0 - June 21, 2013 at 10:05 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by cneron - June 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by FallentoReason - June 26, 2013 at 6:09 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by justin - June 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3573 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6974 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1889 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1857 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4281 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 28048 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7822 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Regarding the power of religion over emotions Macoleco 19 4152 April 1, 2018 at 4:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6843 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 1028 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok