Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I do not understand former atheist's
#27
RE: I do not understand former atheist's
(September 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(September 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm)Airyaman Wrote: Careful...we give Christians a hard time when they trot out the "not a True Christian™" line, we don't want to do the same and say "not a True Atheist™".

I wasn't trotting out a "no true scotsman." When I said that most theists are either confused or lying when they say they were an atheist, that was based on personal experience. Most of the stories I've heard go something like, "I used to be an atheist, and I hated god..."

The same approach is used by Christians when they consider ex-Christians.

(September 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm)Max_Kolbe Wrote:
(September 26, 2013 at 10:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm sure you were just fucking thrilled with that.

When does she get out of detention?

I was thrilled. I like it when my students stand up for themselves and I really like it when they offer counter points of view. I want my students to critically think and come to their own conclusions.

I often annoy my students when they show me their work and ask, "is this good." I say to them, "You tell me. You know if something is good or not good. When you're at a restaurant do you ask other people to taste your food and tell you if it's good? Show some confidence."

Then most of them say, "I just want to know if I'll get a good grade." Oh how we've brain washed them.

Don't get me started.

I'm not a teacher, but this makes no sense to me. They are asking you if it is good because you are supposed to be a teacher, someone knowledgeable in the subject matter, a person with more personal experience.

Can you let me know where you teach? Want to make sure my son doesn't go to your school.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
I do not understand former atheist's - by Lemonvariable72 - September 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Rahul - September 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Lemonvariable72 - September 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Tonus - September 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Rahul - September 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by gall - September 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Davidthegoliath - September 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Minimalist - September 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Faith No More - September 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Jackie - September 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by AtheistCreed - September 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Doubting Thomas - September 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Heir Apparent - September 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Doubting Thomas - September 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Heir Apparent - September 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by ManMachine - September 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Neo-Scholastic - September 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Faith No More - September 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by FallentoReason - September 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by FallentoReason - September 26, 2013 at 9:07 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Captain Colostomy - September 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Minimalist - September 26, 2013 at 10:31 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Fruity - September 26, 2013 at 11:20 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 11:28 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Fruity - September 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Captain Colostomy - September 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Fruity - September 26, 2013 at 11:43 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Captain Colostomy - September 27, 2013 at 7:05 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by genkaus - September 27, 2013 at 6:05 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 27, 2013 at 6:45 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by ManMachine - September 27, 2013 at 6:47 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Simon Moon - September 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 14342 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 3854 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 9429 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 9657 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 8973 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? JairCrawford 61 20822 July 1, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Jackie 6 4214 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Jackie
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 46420 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 13963 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 52772 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)