Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2026, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I do not understand former atheist's
#29
RE: I do not understand former atheist's
(September 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm)Max_Kolbe Wrote:
(September 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm)Airyaman Wrote: The same approach is used by Christians when they consider ex-Christians.


I'm not a teacher, but this makes no sense to me. They are asking you if it is good because you are supposed to be a teacher, someone knowledgeable in the subject matter, a person with more personal experience.

Can you let me know where you teach? Want to make sure my son doesn't go to your school.

No, what they are asking is, "what grade will this get me." The focus is too much on grades. We do not teach our students to think for themselves. We teach them to value an arbitrary letter in the alphabet that has no value. Knowledge and skill, that's valuable. The way public schools are set up however, we teach kids to value what other people tell them is valuable. I ask that question because I want my students to begin thinking about these things. I do not want them to go along with the crowd. Even if that means that they come to conclusions that are opposite of mine. I want my students to be critical thinkers in a society that does not value critical thinking.

So you have become part of the "we" problem then? Are you doing anything beyond mentioning it on an atheist forum?
Reply



Messages In This Thread
I do not understand former atheist's - by Lemonvariable72 - September 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Rahul - September 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Lemonvariable72 - September 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Tonus - September 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Rahul - September 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by gall - September 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Davidthegoliath - September 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Minimalist - September 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Faith No More - September 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Jackie - September 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by AtheistCreed - September 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Doubting Thomas - September 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Heir Apparent - September 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Doubting Thomas - September 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Heir Apparent - September 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by ManMachine - September 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Neo-Scholastic - September 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Faith No More - September 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by FallentoReason - September 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by FallentoReason - September 26, 2013 at 9:07 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Captain Colostomy - September 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Minimalist - September 26, 2013 at 10:31 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Fruity - September 26, 2013 at 11:20 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 26, 2013 at 11:28 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Fruity - September 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Max_Kolbe - September 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Captain Colostomy - September 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Fruity - September 26, 2013 at 11:43 pm
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Captain Colostomy - September 27, 2013 at 7:05 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by genkaus - September 27, 2013 at 6:05 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Airyaman - September 27, 2013 at 6:45 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by ManMachine - September 27, 2013 at 6:47 am
RE: I do not understand former atheist's - by Simon Moon - September 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 14331 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 3820 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 9406 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 9628 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 8966 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? JairCrawford 61 20783 July 1, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Jackie 6 4214 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Jackie
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 46269 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 13940 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 52727 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)