Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 12:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God?
RE: Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God?
(October 15, 2013 at 5:32 am)Esquilax Wrote: First of all, I don't recall there being too many of us here who claim we can disprove god. Second, it isn't our job to; the burden of proof is on the people making the existential claim, and that's you. Ask yourself: why haven't you guys been able to provide evidence yet?

The burden is on the person making the claim. If I asked, "what do believe is the ultimate cause of the universe? a)Supernatural b) Natural c) Don't know. What would you answer? If you answer a or b, you have the burden. The only person who doesn't have he burden is c), an agnostic.

Quote:Third, we also don't believe that god doesn't exist. Most of us willingly claim we don't know, but that the time to believe in something is when it has evidence sufficient to justify this. There isn't much in the way of evidence regarding your god.

This is what is frustrating when debating with atheists, their is a shifting between atheism and agnosticism when an argument is presented. Imo, their is plenty of evidence for God's existence, typically the big 5, 1. KCA, design, moral argument, Jesus Christ and personal experience. What you find as satisfying is completely arbitrary.

Quote:The issue is that lies and fantasies don't add anything meaningful to one's life, and it's terribly condescending of you to say that we should be preserving those fantasies because it's comfortable.

You see, now you have reverted back to Atheism. You just claimed "Most of us willingly claim we don't know", yet you refer back to this as being a fantasy. How can you say something is a fantasy when just before you say you don't know? This shifting between atheism and agnosticism is frustrating. Again, if it is what gives meaning to someone, then who are you or anyone to say otherwise?

Quote:Fact is, Ivy explained it to you in the post you quoted; these fantastical stories with no basis in reality prompt those who believe them to bigotry and hatred and close mindedness. That's plenty of reason right there.

How can you say "Most of us willingly claim we don't know" but in the same line say it is a fantasy? One is a truth claim, the other is not. You have contradicted yourself.

Quote:Are you honestly that sheltered that you think door knockers are the only problems religions cause? Tell that to the gay folks having to fight for their marriage rights, just off the top of my head. I promise you, we can all find more examples.

So gay rights is something that really gets on your nerves? How much time do you spend on war/anti war websites arguing against US troops in Iraq killing and blowing up innocent little children? and BTW, I have many Atheist friends who are against gay marriage.

Quote:Ever consider that we enjoy the debates we get into? That we might like devoting thought to things like this? That maybe we like each other and enjoy hearing what everyone else has to say?

Really? I find it irrational debating about a being that you don't believe exists...Surely, there are better things to do in life...? No?

(October 15, 2013 at 6:00 am)Tonus Wrote: It makes you wonder how effective the doctrine is. Is it really having an effect on anyone's life if just as much good or evil is possible with and without it? Why isn't the word of the supreme creator and ultimate power in the universe able to effect change on a scale that would differentiate it from any other philosophy? I would expect to see a world where there was such a clear dividing line between those who profess faith and those who reject it, that there would be no doubt as to the validity of following a particular god and his/her teachings. Instead we get a world where people point to a Josef Stalin defensively, as if to say "well he was a bit worse." That might be the most depressing gap I've ever seen god squeezed into.

Not really, that is like me looking at obese people and thinking obesity is not a threat to a humans survival because their are obese people. The bottom line is, God gave us free will. As a Christian, God has spoken, very clearly. Unfortunately, man is evil and man has perverted God's word for their own benefit, selfish and evil desires. Unfortunately, this is a side consequence of free will.

(October 15, 2013 at 6:21 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Popcorn

This is my job.

Really? Do you get paid for it?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God? - by Tortino - October 15, 2013 at 6:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 139 10388 June 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 9969 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 3003 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 14990 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 23151 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 8078 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1375 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 67594 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 21301 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 3302 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal