Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do believers say when you ask or tell them..
RE: What do believers say when you ask or tell them..
(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: No, I did not. I said nothing about what Christianity is based on. I said salvation is based on God's grace, not human works.

Fair enough.

(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: No, that would be a wildly inaccurate statement, one that completely ignores what I had actually said. Belief in God does not save anyone. I'm not saved because I believe, but because of what Christ did. It's not as if man exists in some state of spiritual neutrality from which either 'belief' or 'non-belief' finally determines his standing before God, whether justified or condemned. On the Christian view, all mankind exists in a state of condemnation already on account of sin. We all come from the same pool of death and darkness, of sin and moral ruin—and through unbelief, itself a sin, man remains there. We exist under judgment for death; only in Christ is there judgment for life. We exist under God's wrath; only in Christ is that wrath removed. We exist in condemnation; only in Christ are we justified. Salvation is through Christ, not belief, who died for the sins of all who repent and believe.

You're not making any sense.

First you say "Belief in God does not save anyone."

Then you go on to say "Salvation is through Christ, not belief, who died for the sins of all who repent and believe."

So in order for me to be saved, I need to believe that Christ is my personal savior - an entity that is also considered God. Or am I getting this wrong?

(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: "The doctrines of grace are the biblical teachings that define the ends and means of God's perfect work of redemption. They tell us that God is the one who saves, for his own glory, and freely. And they tell us that he does so only through Christ, only on the basis of his grace, only with the perfection that marks everything the Father, Son, and Spirit do. The doctrines of grace separate the Christian faith from the works-based religions of men. They direct us away from ourselves and solely to God's grace and mercy. They destroy pride, instil humility, and exalt God." (James R. White)

Niiiiice.

(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: You are not a Muslim and neither am I, so I'm not interested in having a Quran study. I know from having studied Islam, through its texts and imams, how the pious Ahl al-Kitab will fare before Allah, why the Quran says what it does about the Trinity, what unbelievers and rejecters are considered to be, and pretty much zero confidence in the fidelity of your gunshot proof-texting. This is a thoroughly pointless exercise. Let's confront the beliefs you and I do have, not ones we don't.

I'm currently studying Islamic history, doctrine, and society. The issue of non-believers are taken in a variety of different contexts. I'm trying to make the point that it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: On your view, sure. And if your view turns out to be right and Christianity wrong, that will not matter; in the grave I decompose none the wiser. Ergo, my answer holds.

See you in dirt. Wink

(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: Will you now support that claim? Or are you content being guilty of the very thing you accuse theists of?

You're a smart guy. I'll take it as a given that you understand how burden of proof works. I'm making the claim that no objectively verifiable evidence is available that points to the existence of a God, much less a Christian God. The onus is on the person making the God claim to provide sufficient evidence.

(March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm)Arcanus Wrote: Look again at what I said on that point, this time without reading a bunch of stuff into it. It states exactly what I was saying. (I tend to say exactly what I mean, and mean exactly what I say.)

You made the point that the universe had a beginning, and that God having a creator is a loaded question.

Do you believe that God was the creator of the universe?

If yes, what evidence do you have to support this claim?

I'll ask you more specific questions without going off on tangents.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do believers say when you ask or tell them.. - by tavarish - March 14, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1177 87249 9 hours ago
Last Post: brewer
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25520 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4748 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17997 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 9321 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 744 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1525 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1438 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 17414 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
  How to tell if a religion is B.S. onlinebiker 43 5738 November 25, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus