Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 12:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated
(February 15, 2014 at 2:53 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "indoctrinated." It seems you're using it as a synonym for brainwashed, which is a concept of some ill repute. If we were to rephrase the question as, "How do you know when you've learned about the existence of God?" then the question tends to lose the rather negative attitude involved by using the term "indoctrinated." I think you're biasing your conclusions by using loaded terminology.

Indoctrination and brainwashing are synonymous. I won't repeat the definition of indoctrination as popeyespappy has already provided one which I feel is adequate.

The question I posed, "How do you think one realizes that indoctrination has taken place when one has been indoctrinated?" has the same meaning as "How do you think one realizes that brain-washing has taken place when one has been brain-washed?"

It does not have the same meaning as "How do you think one realizes that one has learned about the existence of God when one has learned about the existence of God?" (What does that even mean?)

We know indoctrination and brain-washing occurs. To the best of my knowledge that's not in dispute - please correct me if I'm wrong. So your restatement of my question is not only a misunderstanding of the purpose of my post, it's completely beside the point. You can be indoctrinated into something that has nothing to do with god or religion, as I was with the D.A.R.E. program. The question I'm asking is not "How do you know when you've learned about the existence of God?" it is "If you become indoctrinated or brainwashed into anything, how do you come to know that indoctrination or brainwashing has taken place?"

Furthermore, my question to others in the forums was (I'm rephrasing here) "If you have had the experience of being indoctrinated or brainwashed (which in the case of the members of these forums is likely to have occurred in the context of religion, though it's not confined to this context) how did you come to know that you had been indoctrinated? What was the impetus of this realization?"

I maybe should have posted this thread in the philosophy forum, but since my particular interest happens to lie in a better understanding of religious indoctrination (which I never experienced) I posted it in the Religion forum. I don't suppose I can move it now, perhaps if a mod thinks the Philosophy forum is a better place for it I wouldn't be opposed to it being moved...
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Messages In This Thread
How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Clueless Morgan - February 15, 2014 at 1:00 am
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Angrboda - February 15, 2014 at 2:53 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by popeyespappy - February 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Clueless Morgan - February 15, 2014 at 6:50 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Angrboda - February 16, 2014 at 4:49 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Clueless Morgan - February 17, 2014 at 12:31 am
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Angrboda - February 17, 2014 at 1:24 am
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Whateverist - February 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Angrboda - February 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Whateverist - February 17, 2014 at 10:09 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Clueless Morgan - February 17, 2014 at 11:11 pm
RE: How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated - by Whateverist - February 18, 2014 at 12:36 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am stunned religion hasn't been abolished yet Agnostic1 50 3504 December 30, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  I've Been MIRACLED!!! brokefree 1 795 June 9, 2021 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25432 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25244 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10422 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4728 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1424 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  How to tell if a religion is B.S. onlinebiker 43 5708 November 25, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 765 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Has anyone been to a funeral where the individual goes to hell? brewer 27 5797 May 8, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: emjay