Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 11:09 pm

Poll: I claim...
This poll is closed.
that God exists empirically
21.05%
4 21.05%
that I believe in God
21.05%
4 21.05%
none of the above
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
(February 22, 2014 at 9:21 pm)rasetsu Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 6:00 pm)discipulus Wrote: rasetsu, are you a human?

No, I am not. Though I can adopt that perspective, if you like, as I have a feeling it was an assumption you were making before you began this tack.

So you are not a human.

What are you then?

(February 23, 2014 at 7:51 am)Esquilax Wrote: So... you trust science up until the point that it contradicts something you want to believe. Dodgy

That is not what he said or even intimated.

(February 23, 2014 at 7:51 am)Esquilax Wrote: Argument from popularity: many people believing something doesn't make it true, and by the way, how many of those smart people also believed in a flat earth, or alchemy, or any number of demonstrably flawed concepts?

This is not an argument from popularity. Notice what he said. He said that too many intelligent people believed in the supernatural for him to dismiss it. He did not say that many intelligent people believed the supernatural existed and therefore the supernatural exists. You have presented a strawman of his position.

If the vast majority of people throughout history had been atheists, I could not justifiably dismiss atheism. I would ask myself why they were atheists and set out to investigate their arguments and reasonings for their views.

(February 23, 2014 at 7:51 am)Esquilax Wrote: I think you have a very skewed view of how evidence and investigation work, Lek. The bible is correct on a number of things, however, that doesn't mean everything in the bible is true; Spiderman comics have New York in them, that doesn't mean Spiderman exists. Its magic claims still have yet to be demonstrated, or even shown to be possible... which is the problem we have.

What you say is true, just because the bible is correct on a number of things, it does not necessarily follow that therefore everything in the bible is true. Nor does he state this. Once again you are constructing a strawman of his position.

You then go on to state that the bible's "magic" claims have yet to be demonstrated or even shown to be possible.

The error in this reasoning is not unique to you, but a great many atheists I have dialogued with commit this error. It is called a "category mistake". You essentially are asking for non-transcendant, empirical, scientifically verifiable, conrete, material evidence for a transcendant, immaterial, incorporeal being that exists beyond the scope of scientific observation and measurement.

Secondly, empiricism as I have stated earlier is self-refuting. So I hope you are not an empiricist. What you should ask for is evidence that would be consistent with that of a transcendant being.

Thirdly there is no evidence that can be presented for the existence of God that cannot be simply dismissed or explained away by them that are unwilling to accept it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists? - by discipulus - February 23, 2014 at 11:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I believe the Bible is God's Word arealquestion 72 1968 September 13, 2024 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 6 609 June 28, 2024 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 51126 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 10367 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 8474 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2680 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 96725 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 89662 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Silver 31 5562 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Silver 43 9385 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda