Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy?
RE: Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy?
(March 10, 2014 at 1:33 pm)orangebox21 Wrote: The two commandments Christians are given in the New Testament are to "Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind," and to "Love your neighbor as yourself." These two commands are routed in reality and serve both a purpose for those who obey them and for those afffected.

There's some stuff wrong with what you just said, but I'll ignore it in favor of just completing my point: since you've just said that these moral commandments have effects in reality, and those effects must obviously be positive, then what use is god in commanding them? Surely one would be able to reason out the merit of those effects sans divine commandment, and implement them based solely on the fact that they are good for people in general?

Quote:If God's morality determines ours, then the effects could only be determined if he exists.

But you just said that god's morality doesn't determine ours, but that reality does, and that god's commandments are based on the positive effects they would have in reality.

You're not going to be able to play both sides of this game, so I'll ask you again, just to be sure: are god's commandments moral because god says them, or are they moral because of an underlying effect in reality that god has simply taken notice of and used to good effect in his commandments?

Quote: If He didn't exist then the real effects could not be felt because morality would not exist.

Except by those standards you wouldn't have morality at all, just a set of fiat declarations. If your moral standard is "whatever god commands," then you have no morality, because under that standard god could command genocide and you'd be bound to accept it as moral.

Quote:This is why I asked: where does the evolutionist get his/her standard of morality from?

Reality, as I've mentioned numerous times before. We can measure the objective effects of actions and determine their moral worth based upon their positive or negative effects on living things and the environment. Which is what you agreed to in your first statement, before you contradicted yourself.

Quote: The Biblical theist says that morality comes from God "writing his law in our hearts and minds" and that is realized through our conscience. He is the author of our morality.

Right, and is that morality based only on what god says, or is there some demonstrable positive effect of those moral commandments in the real world?

Quote:Natural selection (an abstraction) cannot be the author of morality. This would be the fallacy of reification.

Nobody is saying natural selection is the author of morality, so you're wrong to begin with, but also, your assumption that morality has to come from some physical entity is entirely unfounded. Assertions seem to be all you have, and you've contradicted yourself at least twice in your response to me.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy? - by Esquilax - March 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3899 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 16975 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1205 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23490 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2479 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 11690 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2926 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7338 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 10006 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Irish Are Making Up For Lost Time Minimalist 5 742 October 28, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne