Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 1:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy?
RE: Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy?
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote: What you're proposing is inherently contradictory, then. Let's be clear: you believe that god's moral commandments, if followed, would result in a world that is objectively better than one where they aren't, right?
Yes, but I would say, given human interpretation, the world is subjectively better not objectively better.
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote: Given this, then those objectively beneficial effects can be observed without believing in a god.
Yes I agree (although again changing objectively to subjectively)
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote: You seem to be saying that if I don't believe in god then the beneficial effects of his commandments would somehow be invisible to me,
No not at all, not belief in God, but rather existence. To reiterate: If morality is given by God's commands (cause) then we can observe the result (effect). If we remove God's commands (or His existence and thus His commands) then we would have to remove the result. If there is no cause then there is no effect. This is, and I agree with you, much different than belief in God. Belief in God is not the cause (His existence/command is) and so removing it would not remove the effect. You can certainly not believe in God and still observe the effects of His commands.
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote: Besides, you're making a fundamental mistake with your answer to my second question anyway; the "cause" of the effects on the real world wouldn't be god, they would be adherence to his commandments, which are actions that don't suddenly become impossible the moment one becomes an atheist.
Without God's commands we would have no opportunity to be obedient to God's commands (they wouldn't exist). I would agree your statement could be explained as a series of causes and effects. Given God's command is the cause, our obedience is the effect which becomes the new cause, for the benefit of society (effect). In this line of thinking either the removal of God's command or the removal of our obedience to said command would remove the final effect (benefit of society). This again can all be accomplished independently of belief.
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote: Surely you'd agree that an atheist isn't physically unable to obey the commandment "thou shalt not steal"?

Yes I certainly do agree. Belief in God is not a requirement to either feel the effects of God's commands or to be obedient to them.
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote: Unless we're measuring via the yardstick of another objective effect, namely the cohesive running of a society.
How is 'the cohesive running of a society' objectively measured so as to be considered an objective effect?
(March 13, 2014 at 7:02 am)Esquilax Wrote:

It's also not enough to constitute a change in species, making your model... moot.

I am being playful in my response here. For a person who in an earlier discussion stated that changes in eye color is evolution, I in no way believe that if we woke up tomorrow to a mutation that allowed some humans to communicate with animals, that you would deny it as a speciation event and not declare it proof of evolution!

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy? - by orangebox21 - March 17, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3899 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 16975 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1205 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23490 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2479 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 11690 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2926 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7338 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 10006 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Irish Are Making Up For Lost Time Minimalist 5 742 October 28, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne