Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy?
RE: Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy?
(March 18, 2014 at 10:21 am)Esquilax Wrote: Externally granted by some function of the universe. I mean, you do take god's commandments as inviolable and given by a perfect source, yes?
To answer your question, Yes I do. To address the definition of 'objective': perhaps I was assuming a definition you didn't intend. I was taking it to mean: the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings. I was also interpreting 'objective' to be measured quantitatively. Could you explain your definition a bit more? What is the 'external' that 'granted' it?

(March 18, 2014 at 10:21 am)Esquilax Wrote: We would need evidence of the cause first, before we could believe in it. So far all we've established is that X action produces beneficial effects, and that this was written in a book. Since we've just shown that human beings can notice this, it rather detracts from the notion that such things must be divine in nature.
I'm taking the effect to be evidence of a cause. An observation of the effect is not itself the cause.(further development in next response)

(March 18, 2014 at 10:21 am)Esquilax Wrote: How would reasoning that out be circular? What part of "X action produces Y effect, and Y effect is beneficial/detrimental for my group, and therefore it should be encouraged/discouraged if I wish for the group to flourish," is circular?
When discussing the origin of morality I'm looking for the cause. I'm looking for a logical argument/proof that would have 'Therefore morality exists' as it's conclusion. If said logical proof would have a premise(s) like, we observe morality, or we observe the benefit, or this is bad, or that is bad, etc, all of these premises assume a standard of morality. This is how the argument becomes circular reasoning. If one assumes the conclusion within one of the premises that is circular reasoning. The argument you have written above is not circular because it does not argue for the origin of morality because the observation of morality is not an explanation of the origin of morality.

(March 18, 2014 at 10:21 am)Esquilax Wrote: Only slightly: a society requires at least some people to... be, right? I mean, that's just objectively true. Larger social groups can accomplish more, that's also just true. And a world in which everyone is allowed to kill anyone else runs the risk of losing all those people that are required to form a society, and therefore, in an objective sense, there's more of a risk associated with allowing indiscriminate killing than with preventing it.
I agree the first statement is objective, without people there can be no society. The second statement is subjective. It depends what the specific task is as to whether a larger social group can accomplish more or less. For example building a house. A larger group could accomplish more. On the other hand, for example, accomplishing world peace. It's more reasonable in this example that the smaller the group the greater the chance of world peace and the larger the group the less chance of world peace. So here larger social group equates to less, not more. I do agree with your argument that indiscriminate killing runs the risk of eliminating all the people within the society and therefore should be discouraged. These statements are based upon our personal biases (society is a good construct, human life should be preserved to accomplish tasks, etc) and are therefore not objective.

(March 18, 2014 at 10:21 am)Esquilax Wrote: Yes, people can disagree on moral precepts. That's where evidence and rational argument comes in. I'm not claiming that human morality is perfect or unanimously agreed upon, just that it can be determined through discourse and evidence without the need for a divine source.
I've heard it said that human morality isn't perfect. I understand things to be judged as relative to something else. In other words measurement requires a standard to measure against. What is the standard by which human morality is measured so as to determine it is not perfect?

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did God murder children for making fun of a bald guy? - by orangebox21 - March 26, 2014 at 1:53 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3441 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14954 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1168 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 20855 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2180 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 10299 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2664 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6570 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9107 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Irish Are Making Up For Lost Time Minimalist 5 649 October 28, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne