Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 3:34 am

Poll: Do you think the question "can something come from nothing" is a problem for atheism?
This poll is closed.
The question is meaningless
43.59%
17 43.59%
The question is meaningful, and No
30.77%
12 30.77%
The question is meaningful, and Yes
25.64%
10 25.64%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
RE: The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
(April 4, 2014 at 2:20 am)max-greece Wrote:
(April 3, 2014 at 5:47 pm)Chas Wrote: That really has little to do with it. We are not talking about wave/particle duality, but about mass. Photons have zero rest mass.

Christ Chas.

Lets just take a step back.

I cited the emission of a photon from a light bulb as creation of something from nothing.

And I refuted that. The energy lost by the electron is the photon.

Quote:You say the photon is merely the form of energy resulting from the change in energy state of the electron.

Correct.

Quote:I'm saying the photon isn't just energy.

And you are wrong. The photon is electromagnetic energy.

Quote:Your saying if it doesn't have rest mass then it isn't matter (which doesn't mean its just energy).

It does mean it is just energy. Are you saying there is matter, energy, and magic photons?

Quote:That's just to get us up to speed. I never claimed (obviously) that a photon has mass. I don't think its relevant.

It is quite relevant. It is either matter or energy, and you agree it is not matter.

Quote:Actually - of course - we can't even talk about a photon being at rest - its a photon - it travels at the speed of light - it kinda has to - it can't accelerate or deccelerate.

And if it had mass, that mass would be infinite. The mass of a particle of matter increases with velocity inversely proportional to √(1 - (v² - c²)).

Quote:Now I don't think we can simply ignore the duality issue as you are saying. Part of that duality, for example, is the simple fact that light has momentum. Energy doesn't.

Wrong. Electromagnetic waves have momentum.

Quote:I'd argue, therefore, that the energy released from the electron as it changes state is carried off by the photon but that the photon has indeed just been created out of nothing.

And you would be quite wrong. Look at what you just wrote. If the photon is created out of nothing, where did the energy released by the electron go? If the photon is the energy that the electron lost, then that is what it was created from.

Quote:That its massless merely tells us that it doesn't interact with the Higgs field. I don't think THAT's relevant. Actually, if it ever did the universe would be really fucked.

Right, it doesn't.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? - by Chas - April 5, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 5655 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11778 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69279 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 9284 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8943 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Is motion like the following? Mudhammam 27 3662 January 9, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  From where come your morals? urlawyer 33 4966 April 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? GrandizerII 70 12345 February 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 31931 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 2931 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam