Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 12:36 pm

Poll: Do you think the question "can something come from nothing" is a problem for atheism?
This poll is closed.
The question is meaningless
43.59%
17 43.59%
The question is meaningful, and No
30.77%
12 30.77%
The question is meaningful, and Yes
25.64%
10 25.64%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
RE: The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
(April 3, 2014 at 8:19 am)Alex K Wrote:

Ho, hum.

The question for me is how to unpick all the conflated ideas in this post. That's not a criticism, it's an observation.

The topic has wondered here and there, in and out of the Standard Model, which we know is not complete. There are varying schools of thought on this and it's fair to point out, or at least fair for Lee Smolin to point out in his frustrated rant against the individuals - who he claims prop up their pet theories by ensuring the establishments they hold authority over rally against competing theories - in his book 'The Trouble With Physics'. Well that's Theoretical Physics for ya, and it ensures the inertia of academia holds the impetuous whippersnappers of youth in their place and allows the consensual mind science to move at the speed of fog. But this is not new and it serves a purpose.

Next, how do you define 'nothing'? Are we talking a Quantum Vacuum, the popping candy-soup of fleeting quanta, or the absence of anything at all? The latter is effectively the broth of our popping candy-soup anyway.

How about time and space. We can't mention time without meaning space as well, they are one and the same thing, at least that's what Einstein tells us, and who are we to question. It is very possible (and some might even argue probable) that spacetime is an emergent property of quantum systems. There are now many theories that the spacetime geometry emerges from quantum systems, there are certainly those who claim the higher the energy of a quantum system the fewer special dimensions it has (which is why we experience light speed as a sort of Universal speed limit even though some observed phenomena defy this, spooky action at a distance springs to mind).

These theories certainly prop up some of the newer QLG Theory.

Because the complexity of the issues philosophers have left them pretty much alone. Most older philosophy use space and time as fundamental structures, it underlies many of our logical structures.

Without a doubt there is a philosophical debate to be had here, it's a fantastic idea to being to the forum, sadly it seems people have run to the structures they know best and not embraced the question.

For me the questions are, what are the implications for philosophy if;

1. The Universe and everything in it came from nothing (and will ultimately return to nothing)
2. Space and Time (and all attendant concepts such as causality) are not Universal constants but emergent properties

For me these are the questions that are imperative for philosophy, for centuries classical philosophy ran ahead of scientific philosophy, in this century scientific philosophy is leading classical philosophy by the nose. I personally think Deleuze is a great starting point for a decent philosophical debate on the matter (pun intended).

Anyone?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? - by ManMachine - April 13, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 5651 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11777 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69276 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 9282 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8934 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Is motion like the following? Mudhammam 27 3662 January 9, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  From where come your morals? urlawyer 33 4965 April 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? GrandizerII 70 12345 February 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 31918 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 2931 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam