Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 8:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate
RE: Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate
(April 20, 2014 at 1:15 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: That's why I clarified. I realize he wasn't equivocating the two, but my issue with what he said was making atheism responsible for the idiocy of bigots. This isn't about a tag that reads "GODSUX" or "FUCKGOD" or something like that. This is about a tag that simply says "8THEIST." It's not provocative in any way. If I were to get assaulted by a theist for saying publicly that there is no such thing as a god, is that my fault for provoking? Or is that the fault of the person who attacked me (and btw as a result got his ass kicked) for believing differently?

I just don't see the nuance in it. You allow things that aren't provocative. I don't see any reason why a statement of belief (or lack thereof) should be disallowed.
Based on the discussion so far, I don't think anybody here, including Haywood, has a problem with "8THEIST" on a tag. I also think we all agree that "8THEIST" shouldn't result in assault or vandalism, but a quick Google search will reveal that cars have been vandalized for less; e.g., FSM and Darwin emblems. These manifestations of speech are not in any way responsible for the vandalism, which is the point you are driving at.

Heywood,
Do you agree with the last statement? One of your options was to allow all speech and accept the consequences. What I can't infer is what you mean by 'accept the consequences'. Do you mean that people should expect to be assaulted or have their vehicles vandalized as a result of their speech? Or do you allow that if assault and/or vandalism occurs that the aggressor should be convicted or made to pay reparations as the case merits?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate - by Cato - April 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1810 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1517 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4369 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Backlash after celebrities sing "Imagine" GGG 21 2120 June 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 5132 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Explaining What Happens After Death ArtVandelay 36 6836 April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  After An Atheist Dies Der/die AtheistIn 85 28314 July 31, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Dropship
  Observation after embracing atheism for a year thool 18 3082 July 16, 2016 at 12:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Happiness level after embracing atheism thool 116 10779 February 13, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face lezbehonest 48 7588 January 7, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: psychoslice