Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happiness level after embracing atheism
Happiness level after embracing atheism
I left religion about 6 months ago now, and have observed some changes in myself, some expected and some not. I'm interested in what others felt in their lives, especially if you left a religion. Here are mine:

More at peace with myself, not feeling depressed about being human and being judged, or asking "forgiveness" from some faceless entity.

More time on my hands to read and spend time with others.

Better connection with mankind in general: less judgmental and more accepting and curious.

Now that I view religion and followers from the outside, the closest feeling I have toward them is pity, as if they haven't yet seen the folly in the whole system. The ritual, vestments, obedience, deception, routine, reverence, solemn reflexive responses...it is so patently fake that I actually feel like intelligent people should simply know better.

Rather than being in one religion and viewing other religions as terrorists or misguided, and viewing the "unchurched" as those who simply need to hear the message and repent, I am now seeing ALL religions as institutions of deceit and manipulation. This is probably the most profound and unexpected observation so for for me.

The feeling that I really need to do my best to be the best person I can here, because my time is limited and it is the right thing to do. This is not motivated by facing judgment in some cloud court, or being banished to some sweaty fire pit. The motivation is knowing that I did my part and left some very small positive influence on a very small slice of mankind. Imagine if we all did this.
RE: Happiness level after embracing atheism
Honestly there wasn't really a dramatic change, except perhaps to become more openminded about groups that the bible tends to think poorly of.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It was a weight off my shoulders. The cognitive dissonance was getting to me.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I'm very glad to hear you have had some positive changes Smile

I've never been in religion, but I know exactly what you mean. I feel a kind of pity for people who have been brainwashed/conned by religion. I see them mostly as victims. It's a never ending cycle of indoctrination, or religion taking advantage of people at their most vulnerable.

And I agree, the idea that any intelligent adult can actually believe a word of it gives me a sense of amazement that never goes away. But I am also aware of a lot of human psychology which explains such behaviour well, and it's nothing to do with being stupid necessarily.

Too true; thinking this is the one and only life gives a sense of urgency to actually get on and live it. We can all do good, and even when we are gone we can leave a legacy of positive deeds and messages.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Happier? . . . well, calmer, certainly.  I'm not using up any time trying to telepathically beg god to help me understand so I won't fry forever.  I'm starting to see this life as a gift, and not just some precursor to a much better afterlife.  

But I feel like an outsider, quite often. (Remember, I live in the Bible Belt, and I play piano/organ for a Catholic Church choir.)  I listen to the Bible readings and just want to ask some of the folks "how can you think that story is ok"?   I hear absolutely insidious lyrics floating on some of the most beautiful music.  I see GOOD people, intelligent people, captains of industry, mindlessly singing this stuff.  Sunday we did a song called "Total Devotion", based on the Protestant hymn "Take My Life and Let it Be".   The music is lovely, calming, absolutely gorgeous.  Total Devotion YouTube link  But the words are a prayer to this god to take everything.  Everything. Take control.  Take my heart, take my will, take my mind, control my behavior, take my money.  I'm a Stepford Wife that WOKE UP.   What an odd feeling.

(A few lines from "Total Devotion")  

"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
drfuzzy: Wonderful music there, and it is one thing I miss most about going to church.

It is great hearing supportive feedback. I cringe when I see politicians and candidates acting like they are religious just to get votes, but cringe even more when I see "followers" actually believing it is legit!
Welcome to freedom.

[Image: quote-there-can-be-but-little-liberty-on...-91193.jpg]
I can identify with the feeling of relief when one abandons religion.  After I left the catholic church, I felt like a great weight was lifted from me.  It was a lot of stress trying to follow all the church rules.  There are some things about being an atheist that are attractive to me.  There are a lot of unfair income taxes that I wouldn't pay if I wasn't a christian.  I wouldn't have felt so guilty in my younger days over the way I was living and I could now tell my younger brother that I was really happy about his relationship with his male partner.  Then there's also benefits to being a christian, like I don't worry much about the future and a daily feeling of security.  The thing is, I just have to follow what I believe is true, so here I am.
Christians aren't taxed differently.

(February 7, 2016 at 6:40 pm)Lek Wrote: There are some things about being an atheist that are attractive to me.  There are a lot of unfair income taxes that I wouldn't pay if I wasn't a christian.

Like what?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1641 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1441 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Backlash after celebrities sing "Imagine" GGG 21 1980 June 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4758 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Explaining What Happens After Death ArtVandelay 36 6678 April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  After An Atheist Dies Der/die AtheistIn 85 27878 July 31, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Dropship
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27082 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8073 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  Unexpected level of stupidity rado84 36 4573 August 19, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Observation after embracing atheism for a year thool 18 3001 July 16, 2016 at 12:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger