Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If there was a loving God, would you accept him?
RE: If there was a loving God, would you accept him?
(April 23, 2014 at 9:12 pm)ns1452 Wrote: My point is that the difference between us is not a matter of evidence, but our interpretations. Some of you acknowledged this point and I appreciate that. This is important because it is a major reason why a theistic belief system is plausible. If it was simply a matter of the evidence then there would be no disagreement. We all would be either theists or atheists. However, the theist points to the same evidence as the atheist, but we come away with opposite conclusions. Why is this and how do these interpretations formulate? Before I deal with this question I would like to make a second proposal.
I'll disagree with the bolded statement. The difference isn't in how we evaluate the evidence. The bigger difference is in whether we believe there's any evidence to evaluate.

What exactly do you have in the way of "evidence" that any gods exist? Because 95% of what I've seen of theistic evidence is just people saying "I can feel his presence in me". The atheist who can't feel such a presence has no way to experience that evidence, because feelings only exist in the brain of the person feeling them. Which is why atheists tend to assume that these people are just feeling what they hope for, or were taught to expect, rather than anything real. Note that I don't deny that these believers actually feel something - I just understand that the origin of those feelings is far more likely to be psychological than divine.

As for the other 5% of "evidence" I've seen, it's mostly "logical" arguments that amount to a string of logical fallacies that just don't stand up to scrutiny.

So I'll ask again: What evidence do you have for the existence of your God? If you have something worthy of even being called evidence, I'm sure many of us would be willing to take a look at it. And is there a particular reason why you haven't even told us which god you're talking about? I think we're all assuming you're Christian, because that's the safe guess, but I'm sure we'd all like confirmation of that.
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If there was a loving God, would you accept him? - by Fromper - April 24, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4632 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 12811 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8280 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] If I met Him... zwanzig 54 4536 January 13, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3144 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4881 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3410 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 47037 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 31109 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11685 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus